Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

david-young
Regular Visitor

Summarize table data into new table including missing data

Hi,

I'm trying to create a summary table but I'd like it to include distinct results from column A and distinct results from column B even if they are not distinct as a pair.  For example:

Column A        Column B

1                      A

1                      B

1                      A

2                      B

3                      A

I'd like this to summarize as:

Column A        Column B

1                      A

1                      B

2                      A

2                      B

3                      A

3                      B

4                      A

Hope this makes sense.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can first select distinct values in Column A, remove Column B and create a new Column B with the distinct B values from step "Changed Type", expand and type the new column:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column A", Int64.Type}, {"Column B", type text}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Changed Type", {"Column A"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Duplicates",{"Column B"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Column B", each List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[Column B])),
    #"Expanded Column B" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Column B"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column B",{{"Column B", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

You can first select distinct values in Column A, remove Column B and create a new Column B with the distinct B values from step "Changed Type", expand and type the new column:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Column A", Int64.Type}, {"Column B", type text}}),
    #"Removed Duplicates" = Table.Distinct(#"Changed Type", {"Column A"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Duplicates",{"Column B"}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Column B", each List.Distinct(#"Changed Type"[Column B])),
    #"Expanded Column B" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "Column B"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column B",{{"Column B", type text}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

I am having a similar problem but unfortunately the above doesnt make sense to me. 

Trying to get BI to show data that isnt there is something that I have had problems with for some time now. I understand why it can't show it (it doesnt know about what isnt there) but I have charts that need to show consitent data, even if that data has a  count value of 0. 

@Kompo85 Welcome to the forum.

My suggestion would be for you to create your own topic in which you clearly explain your issue.

I don't understand why you react to a topic that doesn't make sense to you.

It isn't helpful to anybody.

Thanks Marcel

Apologies for not being clear, I have the same problem as David-Young and am trying to achieve the same thing, however, my understanding of DAX isnt great enough to understand your explanation and apply it.

I figured that as my issue is identical it would make sense to ask for an elaboration on this forum post.

The code I supplied was Power Query, not DAX.

It can be implemented in the Query Editor by creating a new blank query, go to the Advanced Editor, and replace the default query code by my code.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.