Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Summarize columns and repeat information

Hi there,

Is it there any way so that I can append a column under another, however keeping information of further columns? What I aim to do is something akin to the following example (here is a .pbix file I've created in order to illustrate my point).

pedrohp503_0-1653533939758.png

So I was able to create it in Power Query, however my original file has more than three hundred thousand rows and a lot of columns, so if it is possible to create in DAX it would definitely help me a lot because in Power Query it takes a way too longer than it certainly takes in DAX.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 
You can use

Appended = 
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Main_tbl, "Salesperson", Main_tbl[Salesperson], "Area", Main_tbl[Area], "Date", Main_tbl[Date], "Target", Main_tbl[Target] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Main_tbl, "Salesperson2", Main_tbl[Salesperson2], "Area", Main_tbl[Area], "Date", Main_tbl[Date], "Target", Main_tbl[Target] )
)

1.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tamerj1
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 
Even more simple and dynamic solution

Appended2 = 
UNION (
    ALLEXCEPT ( Main_tbl, Main_tbl[Salesperson2] ),
    ALLEXCEPT ( Main_tbl, Main_tbl[Salesperson] )
)

1.png

Go for DAX. It is much more faster and much easier.

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Interesting idea; but the only thing worth mentioning is that ALLEXCEPT(), when used as table function, returns a summarized table, like what SUMMARIZE() does.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Easy task in PQ and flexible regardless of column names.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcsxJK0pNUdJR8kjNK6oE0qYGQMLAVN/ISN/IwMgIyHHLzEvMS04tVorViVZySi3KSyxC1mBhiq4huKQosSQ1PTMZrMM7sSg1D5sFBjD1volF2aklmXnpYPUBqSWpRUjqLQ0h6g0tsZsPUxeSkZ+bWKzgqwdykzlUjwV2OxC+QNZlZoauC8XrMI+gaMGwCEULzC8objPBE16xAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Salesperson = _t, Salesperson2 = _t, Target = _t, Date = _t, Area = _t]),

Reshaped = let cols = Table.ToColumns(Source), names = List.RemoveRange(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1) in Table.FromColumns(List.Skip(cols),names) & Table.FromColumns(List.RemoveRange(cols,1),names)
in
    Reshaped

CNENFRNL_0-1653538668790.png

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, man. I couldn't find a way to make it work using DAX (now @tamerj1  showed a way), and if I did it using PQ it would properly work.

tamerj1
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 
You can use

Appended = 
UNION (
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Main_tbl, "Salesperson", Main_tbl[Salesperson], "Area", Main_tbl[Area], "Date", Main_tbl[Date], "Target", Main_tbl[Target] ),
    SELECTCOLUMNS ( Main_tbl, "Salesperson2", Main_tbl[Salesperson2], "Area", Main_tbl[Area], "Date", Main_tbl[Date], "Target", Main_tbl[Target] )
)

1.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, @tamerj1 . It worked just fine.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.