Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

M_J_Farrow
Advocate II
Advocate II

Summarising Actual and Target Hours

Hi. I am trying to create a visual that summarises staff member actual hours and target hours aggregated to staff manager level. I will start by providing the relevant example details and then explain where my issue has occured.

I am currently using two Excel tables as data sources for my Power BI model:

1) A data source that shows staff member actual hours booked by week. The data source actually has a variety of different data types within it, but for our purposes we can summarise it to something that looks like the below:

Staff MemberWeekActual hours
Person 1Week 120
Person 1Week 17.5
Person 1Week 110
Person 1Week 222
Person 1Week 215.5
Person 1Week 337.5
Person 1Week 421
Person 1Week 44
Person 1Week 47
Person 1Week 45.5
Person 1Week 518
Person 1Week 519.5
Person 2Week 146
Person 2Week 281.5
Person 2Week 348
Person 2Week 447.5
Person 2Week 544.5
Person 3Week 112
Person 3Week 14
Person 3Week 121.5
Person 3Week 224
Person 3Week 214
Person 3Week 337.5
Person 3Week 33
Person 3Week 439
Person 4Week 335
Person 4Week 423
Person 4Week 414
Person 4Week 537.5

The main thing to note about this data is that for various staff members may not book every week. They may have left the company during the year, joined late etc. This is where my problem comes and will be discussed later. they may also make more than one booking in a week (e.g. because they worked on two seperate projects).

2) A mapping table which contains data about the staff members' staff managers and target hours (among other things). The two tables have a relationship based on a unique identifier number for each staff member, which I have not included as this part is working fine.

Staff MemberStaff ManagerTarget Hours
Person 1Staff Manager A37.5
Person 2Staff Manager B45
Person 3Staff Manager C30
Person 4Staff Manager B35

From hear creating my intial visual was easy. the relationship between the two tables meant I could create a matrix visual showing actual hours per staff manager

Row LabelsSum of Actual hours
Staff Manager A187.5
Staff Manager B377
Staff Manager C155
Grand Total719.5

Now comes the issue. I wanted to add another column showing target hours to date (again at the aggregated staff manager level). My initial approach was simple but flawed:

1) create a measure using SUM which would sum target hours.

2) create a measure identifying number of weeks using DISTINCTCOUNT (this is where the issue appears)

3) create a measure multiplying 1 by 2 to show aggregated target hours at the staff manager level.

The problem that occurs is that distinct count will return the maxium number of distinct weeks within the data aggregated at staff manager level, not the number of weeks booked by each staff member. In the example to date this means that staff manager A will show the incorrect target hours as he has two staff members (person 1 and person 4). Person one has worked 5 weeks so the formula correctly calculates their target hours. Person 2 however has only worked 3 weeks. The formual multiplies their target hours by 5 and return the wrong result.

What I therefore need is a formula that will calculate target hours per staff member, iterating one staff member at a time and looking at the amount of weeks they actually booked and multiplying this by their target hours. The visual will then aggregate this at staff manager level. I presume I need to use the CALCULATE function to achieve this by changing the filter context, but having only just started using Power BI I'm not sure how to achieve this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@M_J_Farrow,

You may refer to the following measure.

Measure =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( Table2[Staff Member] ),
    CALCULATE (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Target Hours] ) * DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Week] )
    )
)
Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@M_J_Farrow,

You may refer to the following measure.

Measure =
SUMX (
    VALUES ( Table2[Staff Member] ),
    CALCULATE (
        SELECTEDVALUE ( Table2[Target Hours] ) * DISTINCTCOUNT ( Table1[Week] )
    )
)
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

In my above example, for instance, Manager B has two staff members (person 2 and person 4). Person 2 has target hours of 45 and has worked in all 5 weeks so their target hours should be (45 x 5). Person 4 has target hours of 35 and has only worked 3 weeks so their target hours should be (35 x 3). At the staff manager level this should aggreate to (45 x 5)+ (35 x 3). What my formula was doing, and I think yours, is to calculate the DISTINCTCOUNT of weeks at the staff manager level and return 5 in both cases. The result is (45 x 5)+ (35 x 5)- i.e. target 70 hours to high. Any idea how to get around this?

@M_J_Farrow,

Give it a try. It works.

Thanks Sam. This does indeed work. Would you be able to talk me through how the formula works. I am an advanced Excel user but new to Power BI. My understanding of the formula is:

SUMX- consists of a table which a function is then performed on

VALUES- creates a table (not visible) of distinct staff members- this is input into the SUMX

CALCULATE- scans the table created using VALUES and takes the contractual hours for the individual and multipies this by the distinct count of that staff members weeks.

When I then put this is a staff manager table it creates a filter context allowing me to see this information aggregated to staff manager.

Am I correct in my understanding?

Hi Sam,

Thanks for looking into this. Could you explain how the measure works for my understanding? I have tried to use it and it seems to be calculating the wrong value. It looks like the distinct count is still counting all distinct weeks in the data (or at least the data relating to the selected staff manager in the visual), rather than just for each individual within the staff manager's team. Any suggestions on how I can get round this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.