Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bn8959
Regular Visitor

Summarise counts of counts

I have a table containing a list of 'internals' per customer. We need to know how many customers we have for each count of internals (which will be displayed in a chart with bins).

For example:

1 internal - 2000 customers

2-5 internals - 5000 customers

6-20 internals - 2000 customers

21-100 internals - 100 customer

I cant figure out how to do this. Note my dataset is running in DirectQuery mode, which limits what I can do severly.

I can produce the table of results I need in SQL easily with the following query:

SELECT
t.internalcount,
COUNT(t.internalcount) AS countsum
FROM
( SELECT
COUNT([int_id]) AS internalcount
FROM [internal]
GROUP BY cust_id
) AS t
GROUP BY t.internalcount

I could put this in a SQL view and import in to Power BI, but that would prevent a lot of Power BI function working like slicers etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
LaurentCouartou
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Do you need a DAX query, or are you trying to do this through a measure and some attributes?

To be honest, I dont know - I just need a graph like this:

Capture.PNG

Hi @bn8959,

According to your description, a segment table may be needed in this scenario. And I don't think it's a bad choice to use a segment table here.Smiley Happy

Regards

a4apple
Helper I
Helper I

The concept you are trying to do is "dynamic segmentation". Please refer to this excellent article.

http://www.daxpatterns.com/dynamic-segmentation/

Thanks for the reply - this is exactly right, and I had found that. However, that is not possible in DirectQuery mode, as it requires creation of segment tables.

Thanks for letting me know. I just started on same so I gave you the link. Wondering how direct query limits this as long as you can create a new table? Just trying to understand and also get more information.

I havent looked in too much detail yet as I fell at the first hurdle (creating the segment table). I guess I could create the table in SQL and import with DirectQuery, but it seems to be getting messy. Ideally I wanted to use the Group Bin feature anyway (and not have a segment table), as this would seem a better way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors