Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

raymond
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sum values of multiple columns per row

Dear Community,

it seems so simple, yet I havent found an adequate solution.

Initial Situation:

There is a table of multiple columns. Some of which are named button_1, button_2 etc. Sometimes there are values in those columns.

Sought Output as a new column:

The function should sum up the values of multiple columns. 

In that example it is a simple sum function from button_1 to button_4.

How can this be achieved?

2018-02-11 18_50_35-Mappe1 - Excel.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@raymond

In case you have 200 columns to sum....select the 1st column>>press the shift key>>>scroll to the last (200th column) and select it.

This way all columns will be selected

Then you can add a new column summing all 200 columns......... from the "ADD COLUMN" tab >>>"STATISTICS">>>"SUM"...... as I mentioned above

Regards
Zubair

Please try my custom visuals

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi Raymond,

To achieve your requirement, there’re two solutions as follow:

1.You can create a new column [Output], and use the Dax formula below:

Output = Table1[button_1] + Table1[button_2] + Table1[button_3] + Table1[button_4]

1.PNG

2.In edit query, first convert all data in your table to number, then follow steps below:

1. click Add Column
  2. click Custom Column
  3. input new column name
  4. input custom column formula: Output = [button_1] + [button_2] + [button_3] + [button_4]

2.PNG

You can also add M code as below in Advanced Editor:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step Name", "Output", each [button_1] + [button_2] + [button_3] + [button_4])

3.PNG

Please refer to PBIX file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q25lxuug3c9y7c/For%20raymond.pbix?dl=0

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Hi, 

I have applied the second approach for taking out the sum through Power Query. 

But I am still getting an error.

And when i clicked on the error it shows this : 

Expression.Error: We cannot apply operator + to types Number and Text.
Details:
Operator=+
Left=8
Right=0

There are nine columns which i want to add and every column has numeric value and no blank cell.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "Facilitation Skills", each [form.Following_session_flow] + [form.Relevant_and_effective_icebreaker] + [form.Using_concrete_familiar_language_with_relatable_examples] + [form.Voice_Clarity_Volume_Modulation] + [form.Displaying_effective_nonverbal_communication] + [form.Handling_differences_of_opinion_and_conflicts_group_dynamics_during_the_session_with_participant_and_the_environment_surrounding_the_session] + [form.Ask_questions_appropriately_to_allow_participant_to_think_respond_to_participants_questions] + [form.Time_management] + [form.Closing_session_with_a_quick_recap_of_key_learning])

Hi,

Atleast one of the columns is formatted as text/alphanumeric.  Click on any step before the summation step, select all numeric columns > right click > Change Type > Decimal.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

@v-yuta-msftand  @Zubair_Muhammad thank you so much. This was easy - but isnt there another way to maybe define a range of columns where the values need to be summed up or do I really have to name every single column.

Suppose I have a table with 200 columns and I want to summarize all of them quickly.

@raymond

In case you have 200 columns to sum....select the 1st column>>press the shift key>>>scroll to the last (200th column) and select it.

This way all columns will be selected

Then you can add a new column summing all 200 columns......... from the "ADD COLUMN" tab >>>"STATISTICS">>>"SUM"...... as I mentioned above

Regards
Zubair

It worked. Thanks. 

Zubair_Muhammad
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI @raymond

Go to Query Editor>>> Select the Button Columns>>>Go to "Add Column" Tab>>>Statistics>>>Sum

sumvalues.png

Regards
Zubair

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.