Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeti

Sum to higher level in hierarchy - unexpected results

Hi,

I had to port a solution from SSAS multidimensional to PowerBI. Unfortunately, it involves many to many relations and parent-child hierarchies:).

I don't get correct sum for the higher level for a measure (first clumn in example below), which shows only positive amounts.

image.png

First column - actually a measure is calculated from second column (also a measure) :  IF ([ZnesekIzkazPredznakSum] > 0;[ZnesekIzkazPredznakSum];BLANK())
On the leaf level things are ok, but on the parent level, the negative value is included.

Any ideas?

I can also post the Power BI file.

Cheers, Janez

2 REPLIES 2
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jeti

What you've writen can actually work but as a new COLUMN and if it references the column

New Column (Only > 0) = IF ('Table'[Column] > 0, 'Table '[Column], BLANK() )

To make it work as a MEASURE you need to filter out those numbers from the calculation like this...

SUM Only > 0 MEASURE =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Column] ), FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[Column] > 0 ) )

Your measure first performs the sum and then looks at the context!

That's why it works only on the lowest level!

When it moves to the higher level - first it sums all the numbers at that level - and then checks if >0

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

Thanks for reply, I'm new to tabular and DAX,please bear with me 🙂

In my case I have added a series of measures, because ob M2M relationship and attributes in the intermediate table which affect calculation in fact table.  So I came to final calculation by steps.  But only at the final step I want to check for negative amounts.  Using your proposed solution would filter underlying negative rows ...

I tried to convert this last measure (before checking for negative) to column, but I get an out of memory error. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.