Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Meraki

Sum salaries between a start date and end date/current time?

Hi 🙂

I'm a newbie to power BI and I have a table with employee data: monthly salary, employee ID, employment start date and end date. I need to be able to calculate/SUM their salaries over any given year for a report (so - year to date, last year to date, and so forth). Some of the end dates are missing naturally, since some are still employed, so there's empty cells under "end date" column.

First off I should have a date table and join a relationship, right?

Second, I don't know where to begin with the DAX code. It would be so helpful if someone could advise on how to calculate this. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Meraki ,

Rather than creating a date table,I would prefer to recommend you tranform the table first in query editor:

Using below M codes to get a list for the year period:

Year=let _enddate=if [EndDate]=null then DateTime.FixedLocalNow() else [EndDate]
in
{Date.Year([StartDate])..Date.Year(_enddate)}

vkellymsft_0-1635394677651.png

Then using below dax expression to get the months for each working year:

Month for each year =
VAR _enddate =
    IF ( 'Table'[EndDate] = BLANK (), TODAY (), 'Table'[EndDate] )
VAR _minyear =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Table'[Year] ),
        FILTER ( 'Table', 'Table'[EmployeeID] = EARLIER ( 'Table'[EmployeeID] ) )
    )
VAR _maxyear =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table'[Year] ),
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        'Table'[Year] = _minyear,
        IF (
            'Table'[Year] <> _maxyear,
            DATEDIFF (
                'Table'[StartDate],
                DATE ( YEAR ( 'Table'[StartDate] ), 12, 31 ),
                MONTH
            ) + 1,
            DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[StartDate], _enddate, MONTH )
        ),
        IF (
            'Table'[Year] > _minyear
                && 'Table'[Year] < _maxyear,
            DATEDIFF ( DATE ( YEAR ( _enddate ), 1, 1 ), _enddate, MONTH ) + 1
        )
    )

And you will see:

vkellymsft_1-1635394848701.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Meraki ,

Rather than creating a date table,I would prefer to recommend you tranform the table first in query editor:

Using below M codes to get a list for the year period:

Year=let _enddate=if [EndDate]=null then DateTime.FixedLocalNow() else [EndDate]
in
{Date.Year([StartDate])..Date.Year(_enddate)}

vkellymsft_0-1635394677651.png

Then using below dax expression to get the months for each working year:

Month for each year =
VAR _enddate =
    IF ( 'Table'[EndDate] = BLANK (), TODAY (), 'Table'[EndDate] )
VAR _minyear =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Table'[Year] ),
    )
VAR _maxyear =
    CALCULATE (
        MAX ( 'Table'[Year] ),
    )
RETURN
    IF (
        'Table'[Year] = _minyear,
        IF (
            'Table'[Year] <> _maxyear,
            DATEDIFF (
                'Table'[StartDate],
                DATE ( YEAR ( 'Table'[StartDate] ), 12, 31 ),
                MONTH
            ) + 1,
            DATEDIFF ( 'Table'[StartDate], _enddate, MONTH )
        ),
        IF (
            'Table'[Year] > _minyear
                && 'Table'[Year] < _maxyear,
            DATEDIFF ( DATE ( YEAR ( _enddate ), 1, 1 ), _enddate, MONTH ) + 1
        )
    )

And you will see:

vkellymsft_1-1635394848701.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @Meraki 

If my understanding is correct, I believe you may want to use something like the following to 1. ensure that any EndDate that is blank is replaced with the maximum date (i.e. TODAY), and 2. that if there is an EndDate, it is used as the basis of end to the specific period.

Looking at your table of data, you also have SalaryMonthly data, therefore, it is likely that you may require the SalaryMonthly data to be multiplied against the period between the StartDate and EndDate?  If that is correct, then please use the following:

1. Create a Calculated Column that returns the number of days between the Start Date and End Date like below (note that you can adjust the _StartDate to whatever the period by amending the "_StartDate" variable.  If you have a Date / Calendar table, then I recommend linking it to that accordingly.

nDays = 

VAR _EndDate = IF ( ISBLANK ( 'Table'[End Date] ), TODAY () , 'Table'[End Date] )
VAR _StartDate = 'Table'[Start Date]

RETURN

INT ( _EndDate - _StartDate )

2. Create a second Calculated Column that returns the amount for the respective period such as below:

AmtForPeriod = 

VAR _DailyRate = 'Table'[SalaryMonthly] * 12 / 365

RETURN

'Table'[nDays] * _DailyRate
The output will look like below:
TheoC_0-1635193780820.png

From here, if you want a measure, just create a new measure "Measure = SUM ( 'Table'[AmtForPeriod])" and it will give you what you want 🙂

Hope this helps 🙂

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Meraki ,

the easiest would be if you give an example how your data looks like. Even better if you have a sample files with just a few rows. Then it's the easiest to help you.

A description of the problem lets a lot of room for interpretation and many times it's easier to work with a small example.

In general, you should usually have a date table and connect it to your fact table.

You also need a proper date table in order for the time intelligence functions to work. Here is a small tutorial how to create a date table:
https://softcrylic.com/blogs/power-bi-for-beginners-how-to-create-a-date-table-in-power-bi/

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Hey @selimovd !

Thanks for replying.

I have created a date table now so that's fixed.

Here is a sample of how my data looks (this is something I created quickly in excel - format is the same but data is different)

Meraki_0-1635191999150.png

So I'm stuck on how to calculate the salaries using DAX, in order to show a total sum in the report, for a given period (e.g. year to date, last year to date, or any given/selected year really).

Thank you!

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download the MS Excel file that you have created.  Also, if an employee leaves on October 8, 2021, will his/her salary to considered for the entire month of October?  Also, if an employee joins on August 27, 2018, will his/her salary to considered for the entire month of August?  Please clarify.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.