Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

irnm8dn
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Sum repeating rows as one

Newbie to Power BI.  Looking for some help regarding repeating rows.

I have a dataset that has repeating rows because the data is presented by day.  The column is a "goal" and is for a specific duration of time, and not for the specific day.  When visualized, the "goal" because it is listed in each of the rows is "summed".  Is there a way not to have this totaled, and use the value independently?

i.e.   Joe wants to lose 100lbs in 90 days.  "100 lbs" is repeated in each of the 90 rows (each day).  Power BI currently makes this look like Joe's goal is to lose 9000 lbs.  (100 lbs * 90 days).

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

@MattAllington

6 REPLIES 6
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@irnm8dn

Please try to check Don’t summarize but not Sum in the dropdown menu.

Sum repeating rows as one_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks Herbert.   I think this may get me close, but with the end in mind - perhaps a different example will help illustrate the challenge I am having.  I have a flat dataset but there is a hierarchical relationship within the dataset of:

Advertiser>Campaign>Order or put another way...Orders are properties of a Campaign, Campaigns are properties of an Advertiser.

Since the information is presented "by day" for each row, there is certain data from my source system that is "static", and other data that needs to be summed, etc.  See the sample dataset below, along with the questions I am trying to answer and how I would want to present it in Power BI.  In the past, I would have pivoted it in Excel (also below) and I can't quite put my thumb on whether I should leverage a "Group By" or "Pivot" function in Power BI (which I can't quite figure out anyway).

Sample Dataset.PNG

Pivoted below, this is what I am looking to reproduce in a more visual way in Power BI:

Pivot.PNG

Basically, the questions I am trying to answer are as follows:

• How many Orders have I delivered against my Order Goal?
  • How many Orders have I delivered against my Camapign Goal?
  • What/How Many Orders belong to a Campaign?
  • What are my Toal Order goals for all my campaigns (1,000)?  (Power BI would make this look like 5,200)

Hopefully this sheds some more light on my current limitation.  I am sure it is a rather simple solution, but being a newbie - I am trying to get out of my own way (with your help).  Thanks. 

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@irnm8dn

Try with a matrix visual that look like this:

Matrix.png

Lima - Peru

Great call on the matrix view, however looking to do something more visual.  I know the issue is inherently that the hierarchical data repeats.  Any other suggestions?

@irnm8dn

The matrix visual should be same as the pivoted table in excel. Do you want to look for some other visuals? Except the built-in visuals in Power BI Desktop, you can also find some awesome visuals in https://app.powerbi.com/visuals/. Maybe you can take a look.

Best Regards,

Herbert

mwaltercpa
Advocate III
Advocate III

If it's just for aesthetics in a table, have you tried changing the field in the table to show as the 'average' rather than the 'sum'?  That way every day will still show 100, but your totals will also reflect 100 as the average of all the repeated goal amounts.

To work with this goal amount independently, say in a DAX measure, the goal should be removed from the table that holds the daily rows (since 100 doesn’t really mean anything to a particular day), and listed separately in to its own 'dimension' table', one row for just Joe, with a goal of 100 (along with the other customers and goals).

Relating these two tables together on customer# will let you work with the goal in a DAX Calculate() measure if need be.  You'll be able to use the related goal against any other aggregation from your detail log. i.e. if you keep track daily of each pound lost, you could sum the total pounds lost (from the detail table), then compare them to the goal of 100 from the goal table. 

Hope this helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.