Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

stevedata
Frequent Visitor

Sum on measure table not working correctly

Hi All,

hoping you can help me with an issue i am having summing up % values for data (multiple rows belonging to a category) when creating a table.

example source data

CategoryActivityTotal InvitesAttendees
EventsEvent1105
EventsEvent23015
EventsEvent32015

In PowerBI Desktop I have added a new column to calculate rate of attendance - formula used is below

data   new calculated column = [Total Invites]/[Attendees]
categoryactivityTotal InvitesAttendeesAttendance Rate
EventsEvent110550%
EventsEvent2301550%
EventsEvent3201575%

when I create a table in PowerBI, based on the category Events, the % it shows is not correct - 

CategoryTotal InvitesAttendeesAttendance Rate
Events6035 175%

how do I get to show this rate as 58%?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You need to create a measure to return the average of your Attendance column, or just change the aggregation to Average in your visual (if you just added the Attendance column directly).

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

You need to create a measure to return the average of your Attendance column, or just change the aggregation to Average in your visual (if you just added the Attendance column directly).

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat  thanks for your response - I have just realsied that with the example numbers I provided this works and average is 58% but with my actual data I am using the issue is still not resolved - see below for when i select 'dont summise', 'sum, and 'average' options.

Don’t summise   new calculated column = [Total Invites]/[Attendees]
CategoryactivityTotal InvitesAttendeesAttendance Rate
Eventsevent1482348%
Eventsevent2201050%
Eventsevent37387119%

Sum    
Events141120217%

Average    
Events14112072.4%

72.4 is indeed the average accross all 3 events but instead of this I want the 85% number that shows the rate between total attendance vs total invites i.e. 120/141 = 85%

@mahoneypat ah just realsied in  my 'event 3' data theres an issue there where i have more attendees than invotes so your solution was correct, thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.