Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pat_Da_Cat
Regular Visitor

Sum of measure is incorrect

So... i just started using power BI on Friday and everything has been going great until now.. this problem has been stumping me for at least 8hrs and I havent found anything that works on this forum or any other. 

So background... I watched a video yesterday on how to use the dateadd function to allow me to compare the data from two distinct time periods.

Cans Produced LY = CALCULATE(SUMX('Production Data','Production Data'[Cans Produced]), DATEADD('Production Data'[Date],-1,Year))

And with some tweaking i got the result I wanted and i was able to generate a time series plot comparing production from one date range slice to the same date range slice from the previous year:

Capture 1.PNG

So next I wanted to add two simple cards to my report summarising the total production in this year and last year for the date slice and this is what I got:

Capture 2.PNG

ok. and this is where I get lost.. so my total for this years production is correct but the total for last years production is wayyyy off. 

I changed the date slicer to a three day window to see if that made a difference but got the same problem, i created a report table to see what data i was working with and got this:

Capture 3.PNG 

The data in the table is correct but the sum for the cans produced LY is not. For the life of me I cant seem to figure out why.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks for taking to read and please comment back if you know what I'm screwing up.

Here are a few more snips from the file for information:

Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNGCapture 6.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try using the date dim table instead of the production date on time intelligence functions.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaulDBrown
Community Champion
Community Champion

Try using the date dim table instead of the production date on time intelligence functions.

Paul on Linkedin.

Thats the problem, the other calendar does not have contiguous dates! Thanks Paul! 

Happy to help! BTW, I'm not sure you need the SUMX function in your measure. Try with a simple SUM.

Regards,

Paul.

Paul on Linkedin.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.