Highlighted
Frequent Visitor
Accepted Solution

Sum of measure is incorrect

So... i just started using power BI on Friday and everything has been going great until now.. this problem has been stumping me for at least 8hrs and I havent found anything that works on this forum or any other. 

So background... I watched a video yesterday on how to use the dateadd function to allow me to compare the data from two distinct time periods.

Cans Produced LY = CALCULATE(SUMX('Production Data','Production Data'[Cans Produced]), DATEADD('Production Data'[Date],-1,Year))

And with some tweaking i got the result I wanted and i was able to generate a time series plot comparing production from one date range slice to the same date range slice from the previous year:

Capture 1.PNG

So next I wanted to add two simple cards to my report summarising the total production in this year and last year for the date slice and this is what I got:

Capture 2.PNG

ok. and this is where I get lost.. so my total for this years production is correct but the total for last years production is wayyyy off. 

I changed the date slicer to a three day window to see if that made a difference but got the same problem, i created a report table to see what data i was working with and got this:

Capture 3.PNG 

The data in the table is correct but the sum for the cans produced LY is not. For the life of me I cant seem to figure out why.

I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks for taking to read and please comment back if you know what I'm screwing up.

Here are a few more snips from the file for information:

Capture 4.PNG

Capture 5.PNGCapture 6.PNG

Accepted Solutions
Established Member

Re: Sum of measure is incorrect

Try using the date dim table instead of the production date on time intelligence functions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member

Try using the date dim table instead of the production date on time intelligence functions.

Frequent Visitor

Thats the problem, the other calendar does not have contiguous dates! Thanks Paul! 

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Happy to help! BTW, I'm not sure you need the SUMX function in your measure. Try with a simple SUM.

Regards,

Paul.