Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Samboko
Frequent Visitor

Sum data from one table based on information from a second table linked through intermediate table

From the example tables below I am trying to sum the Collected Tonnes in Table 1 based on only those Locations that have had an audit (Table 2). So in this particular example, I would only be adding the Collected Tonnes from Toronto and Edmonton (140 tonnes) because they are the only ones with audits in Table 2. The number and location of audits will change over time so this needs to be a dynamic relationship. Furthermore I have Tables 1 and 2 linked by a third intermediate table (Table 3) which is a unique list of all possible Locations.

This also needs to be responsive to a date slicer, so if there was no audit for a particular location within the date range, the sum of Collected Tonnes would exclude that location.

I have tried a variety of methods with no luck, including trying to make a measure or a calculated column to check for existence of an audit. I'm sure there is a straightforward solution but it eludes me!

I've made up a .pbix file with the example here

Table 1 - Collection Database 
DateLocationCommodityCollected Tonnes
24-Jan-18TorontoFibre50
15-Feb-18TorontoContainers20
23-Feb-18WinnepegContainers30
28-Feb-18EdmontonFibre70
02-Mar-18VancouverFibre85
15-Mar-18VictoriaContainers35
24-Mar-18St. JohnsFibre100

Table 2 - Audit Database 
DateLocationMaterialAudit Kg
15-Feb-18TorontoOffice Paper6
15-Feb-18TorontoCardboard8
15-Feb-18TorontoPlastic2
15-Feb-18TorontoResidual1
28-Feb-18EdmontonOffice Paper9
28-Feb-18EdmontonCardboard7
28-Feb-18EdmontonPlastic3
28-Feb-18EdmontonResidual2

Intermediate Table

Edmonton
St. Johns
Toronto
Vancouver
Victoria
Winnepeg

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Samboko,

Create measures like below:

Measure1 =
CONCATENATEX (
    ALLSELECTED ( 'Audit Database' ),
    'Audit Database'[Location],
    ","
)

Measure2 =
IF (
    ISERROR (
        FIND ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Collection Database'[Location] ), [Measure1] )
    ),
    "Not Exist",
    "Exist"
)

Measure3 =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Collection Database'[Collected Tonnes] ),
    FILTER ( 'Collection Database', [Measure2] = "Exist" )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@v-yulgu-msft this works great, thank you very much for taking the time to go through this.

I was a little concerned how this will react when I apply it to my real dataset which has over 300 locations, so I fiddled around a bit more and managed to come up with an alternative solution which I'm happy with.

I first created a measure to get the total tonnes collected by location in a given time period:

Sum of Tonnes = CALCULATE(SUM('Collection Database'[Collected Tonnes]))

I then checked to see if a given location has had an audit within the given time period:

Audit Exist? = DISTINCTCOUNT('Audit Database'[Location])

Finally I used a SUMX function to find the total tonnes from locations with audits in the given time period, but the trick was to use my Intermediate Table as the table in the SUMX function:

Sum Across = SUMX('Intermediate Table',[Sum of Tonnes] * [Audit Exist?])

It was the SUMX that I was missing, this also helped me solve the remaining issues in the rest of my calculation, being able to multiply across and then sum down rather than suming down and multiplying across like I would with SUM. Also having the Intermediate Table made this method possible.

The final file can be found here, I'm not sure how to attach it to the message.

Thanks again for the help!

Sam

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Samboko,

Create measures like below:

Measure1 =
CONCATENATEX (
    ALLSELECTED ( 'Audit Database' ),
    'Audit Database'[Location],
    ","
)

Measure2 =
IF (
    ISERROR (
        FIND ( SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Collection Database'[Location] ), [Measure1] )
    ),
    "Not Exist",
    "Exist"
)

Measure3 =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Collection Database'[Collected Tonnes] ),
    FILTER ( 'Collection Database', [Measure2] = "Exist" )
)

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yulgu-msft this works great, thank you very much for taking the time to go through this.

I was a little concerned how this will react when I apply it to my real dataset which has over 300 locations, so I fiddled around a bit more and managed to come up with an alternative solution which I'm happy with.

I first created a measure to get the total tonnes collected by location in a given time period:

Sum of Tonnes = CALCULATE(SUM('Collection Database'[Collected Tonnes]))

I then checked to see if a given location has had an audit within the given time period:

Audit Exist? = DISTINCTCOUNT('Audit Database'[Location])

Finally I used a SUMX function to find the total tonnes from locations with audits in the given time period, but the trick was to use my Intermediate Table as the table in the SUMX function:

Sum Across = SUMX('Intermediate Table',[Sum of Tonnes] * [Audit Exist?])

It was the SUMX that I was missing, this also helped me solve the remaining issues in the rest of my calculation, being able to multiply across and then sum down rather than suming down and multiplying across like I would with SUM. Also having the Intermediate Table made this method possible.

The final file can be found here, I'm not sure how to attach it to the message.

Thanks again for the help!

Sam

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors