Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PaulPed4
Helper II
Helper II

Sum column values by same row value

Hi there,

I have a table which reflects my itemised sales data and includes the following:

• Order Number
  • Item Code
  • Item Description
  • Qty
  • Total Sale

The same order number can be present on multiple rows as it would be a single order for multiple items. I want to create a calculated column that sums all of the Total Sales values by Order Number, to give me a total sale by Order Number value.

What is the DAX for this?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Daniel,

I found the error I made, there was a single ")" I missed in the formlua which was difficult to spot...

However, I found that the correct formula was in fact to use EARLIER and not MAX.

Thanks,

Paul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @PaulPed4,

Based on my test, you could refer to below steps:

Sample data:

1.PNG

Create below measure:

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Total Sales]),FILTER(ALL('Table1'),'Table1'[Order Number]=MAX('Table1'[Order Number])))

Result:

1.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Daniel,

I found the error I made, there was a single ")" I missed in the formlua which was difficult to spot...

However, I found that the correct formula was in fact to use EARLIER and not MAX.

Thanks,

Paul

Now I have a different issue but related to the same source formula.

Now that I have the correct sum of the line items per PO, I need to get an average of those totals. When I place the field in a Card and specify for it to be presented as an average, it gives me an incorrect answer. When I export the table with PO numbers and totals for those POs I get the correct average which is lower than the Card.

Now if I create the below Measure the average is calculated correctly. Why?

Average PO Spend = AVERAGEX(SUMMARIZE(Table, Table[PO], "to Average", [Spend Measure]), [Spend Measure])

Spend Measure = CALCULATE([Total Spend], FILTER(Table, Table[PO]))

Hi Daniel,

I used your formula but PBI is giving me an error stating there are too few arguments for the FILTER function and it requires a minimum of 2?

Remembering that I need this to be a New Column and not a Measure, would that make a difference with the formula required?

Sorry, still very new to DAX and trying to get my head around it all.

Thanks,

Paul

Hi @PaulPed4,

Could you please offer me a sample file and post your desired result if possible? So I could test for your desied result.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In your Table visual, drag Order Number and write this measure

=SUM(Data[Total Sale])

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.