Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rmattern
Frequent Visitor

Sum column values based on another column then divide that sum by another column single value.

I need to sum a column conditionally based on another column then divide that sum by another single value from another column.  Looking at the data in the screen clip, I need to sum the numbers in column B when column D is less than C and then divide by column A all per column E.   So, in this case, the numbers would look like this.  (225 + 5) /230 = 1.  If row 67 did not meet the case of the date in D being less than C then I would expect the answer would be 225 / 300 = 0.978.

image.png

4 REPLIES 4
Songbird
Regular Visitor

First you need to create an index column in order to compare rows.  Then you can create a custom column (in Edit Query) with something like the following formula:

if #"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[E] = [E] then
  if [D] < [C] then
    (#"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[B] + [B]) / [A]
  else
    [B] / [A]
else 
  ??
Songbird
Regular Visitor

You need to first add an index to your table so you can compare rows.

Then you could create a new custom column with a formula something like this:

if #"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[E] = [E] then
  if [D] < [C] then
    (#"Added Index"{[Index]+1}[B] + [B]) / [A]
  else
    [B] / [A]
else 
  ??

Thanks but I think you need more information.  The uniqueness per row is based on column E and the column to the left of C.  Also there is not always just 2 rows per column E. The number of rows per column E could be upto 10. 

I added an index column named ID and I am trying to write the code for the "Custom Column" but it errors out.

Error: The name 'ID" wasn't recognized.

= if #"ID"{[Index]+1}[Submittal Number] = [Submittal Number] and #"ID"{[Index]+1}[Submittal Pass] = [Submittal Pass] then
if [Actual Submission Date] <= [Due Date] then
(#"ID"{[Index]+1}[#"Deliverables ""Accept"] + [#"Deliverables ""Accept"]) / [Deliverables]
else
else [#"Deliverables ""Accept"] / [Deliverables]

Data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.