Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum column range

Hi there, 

I want to create a custom column in which i sum a range of columns from the dataset. It needs to be a range, as the it will be a generic report which needs to be able to handle different csv files, all with a variation of columns (different names and amounts)

Currently my dataset contains 116 rows and i need to sum everything but the first one (2:116). 

with R-script it is possible, but powerBI returns an error. i used the following script: 

dataset$new <- rowSums(dataset[2:116], na.rm=TRUE)

R-script is not preferable, but more of backup option. Is there a way to reach the same result but without R? I dont want to use the columns names, but the number. in the picture below: 2 through 5, not column A + column B + etc.

example dataset:

2018-02-21 13_00_00-Map2 - Excel.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try below steps.

1. Select [TimeStamp] column then Unpivot other columns.

2. Add a custom column.

2.PNG

3. Pivot table to convert it to original structure.

1.PNG

Power Query reference:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Sample Data.xlsx"), null, true),
    Test4_Sheet = Source{[Item="Test4",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Test4_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"TimeStamp", type time}, {"column A", Int64.Type}, {"column B", Int64.Type}, {"column C", Int64.Type}, {"column D", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"TimeStamp"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Attribute", "ColumnName"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Sum", (This) => List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns",each [TimeStamp] = This[TimeStamp])[Value])),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Result.

3.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Please try below steps.

1. Select [TimeStamp] column then Unpivot other columns.

2. Add a custom column.

2.PNG

3. Pivot table to convert it to original structure.

1.PNG

Power Query reference:

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\xxxx\Desktop\Sample Data.xlsx"), null, true),
    Test4_Sheet = Source{[Item="Test4",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Test4_Sheet, [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"TimeStamp", type time}, {"column A", Int64.Type}, {"column B", Int64.Type}, {"column C", Int64.Type}, {"column D", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"TimeStamp"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{{"Attribute", "ColumnName"}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Sum", (This) => List.Sum(Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns",each [TimeStamp] = This[TimeStamp])[Value])),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Added Custom", List.Distinct(#"Added Custom"[ColumnName]), "ColumnName", "Value")
in
    #"Pivoted Column"

Result.

3.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana, 

Thank you thatshould work the way i want it too. Little question though, in your code you use "(this)", can you explain what that does?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also found a way to do it with R-script without any errors:

let
    Source = Source,
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Source, ListColumns),
    #"Run R Script" = R.Execute("dataset$Total <- as.integer(rowSums(dataset[2:"&Parameter&"], na.rm = TRUE))#(lf)temp <- as.vector(c(""Timestamp"", ""Total""))#(lf)dataset <- dataset[, temp]#(lf)output <- dataset",[dataset=#"Removed Other Columns"]),
    #"""output""" = #"Run R Script"{[Name="output"]}[Value]
in
    #"""output"""

I use a parameter to handle the dynamic part of the report. Meaning that whenever the user connects to the report he/she will first fill in how many products there are present in the dataset. Using the parameter only works when i fill it in through the advanced editor, not in the r-script window. 

I first load the source query, filter out the products that i don't need (using a list will ensure it will always work, independent from the amount or names of the product). Then i create a new column (Total) which holds the sum of all columns between column 2 and the parameter. 

Depending on the goal of the file both solutions seem to work, i did not test speed or performance impact. 

I hope this will also help other people who encounter simulair problems 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.