Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kimalto452
Frequent Visitor

Sum by category two variants

Hi, I'm new with powe bi. I don't understand why this code work

Total price by category=
VAR category=[group]
RETURN CALCULATE(  SUM ([price]), FILTER (table1,[group]=category) )

and this code dosen't work
Total price by category=
CALCULATE(  SUM ([price]), FILTER (table1,[group]=[group]) )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@kimalto452 - This is some context. Probably the biggest learning curve with DAX is understanding the context. It is literally the most important DAX concept. As such, it deserves a thorough explanation without anything vague.

Therefore, this is a calculated column for the row context to apply (see article). therefore

Consider this code:

VAR category[group]
RETURN CALCULATE( SUM ([price]), FILTER (table1,[group]-category) )
What this is saying is:
  1. Get the value of the "group" column within the current row
  2. Now, SUM the price column for each row in the table by comparing the value of the group column in that row with this value that is stored in the variable "category", if they match, then add them

This will return what was intended. Give me a sum of the price column for all rows in this table that match the same group value as the current row.

In front of this code:

Total price by category ?
CALCULATE( SUM ([precio]), FILTER (tabla1,[grupo]-[grupo]) )
What this says is:
  1. Sum the price column for each row in the table by comparing the value of the group column in that row with the group column value of that same row and, if they match, its sum

So that's why you get the total sum for all rows in the second formula because obviously the group column in each row matches the group column in that row.

Now, consider this formula:

Columna 3 - CALCULATE(SUM([price]),FILTER('Table (13)',[group]-EARLIER([group])))
This formula generates the same value as the first calculation. This is because EARLIER causes the calculation to reference a "previous" context outside the current context, which means that it refers to the row context of the original row and not to the current row context of each row.
Let's hope this explains it well. Context is the most important concept when it comes to DAX and deserves to be explained thoroughly and completely when it comes to it. If you can master the context, you will master DAX.
I do have questions.
BTW: This is an extremely smart question to ask! Praise!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the second formula, what do you mean by [group]=[group]

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@kimalto452 - This is some context. Probably the biggest learning curve with DAX is understanding the context. It is literally the most important DAX concept. As such, it deserves a thorough explanation without anything vague.

Therefore, this is a calculated column for the row context to apply (see article). therefore

Consider this code:

VAR category[group]
RETURN CALCULATE( SUM ([price]), FILTER (table1,[group]-category) )
What this is saying is:
  1. Get the value of the "group" column within the current row
  2. Now, SUM the price column for each row in the table by comparing the value of the group column in that row with this value that is stored in the variable "category", if they match, then add them

This will return what was intended. Give me a sum of the price column for all rows in this table that match the same group value as the current row.

In front of this code:

Total price by category ?
CALCULATE( SUM ([precio]), FILTER (tabla1,[grupo]-[grupo]) )
What this says is:
  1. Sum the price column for each row in the table by comparing the value of the group column in that row with the group column value of that same row and, if they match, its sum

So that's why you get the total sum for all rows in the second formula because obviously the group column in each row matches the group column in that row.

Now, consider this formula:

Columna 3 - CALCULATE(SUM([price]),FILTER('Table (13)',[group]-EARLIER([group])))
This formula generates the same value as the first calculation. This is because EARLIER causes the calculation to reference a "previous" context outside the current context, which means that it refers to the row context of the original row and not to the current row context of each row.
Let's hope this explains it well. Context is the most important concept when it comes to DAX and deserves to be explained thoroughly and completely when it comes to it. If you can master the context, you will master DAX.
I do have questions.
BTW: This is an extremely smart question to ask! Praise!

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@kimalto452 , to check this try it like this and check the values

VAR category=[group]
RETURN CALCULATE( [group], FILTER (table1,[group]=category) )

Total price by category=
CALCULATE( [group], FILTER (table1,[group]=[group]) )

in my understand you will get some value in all lines, in the second case you should get different values. row context should apply

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.