Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum by Group

Happy Wednesday,

Can you please suggest for below scenario?

I want to sum sales amount and invoice if “ADVICE” and “KEY” are same,I tried if condition but not able to figure it out the result.

Data Set

Item

Advice

Key

Sales Amount

Invoice

A

Include

abc-123

A

Include

abc-123

A

Dealer

abc-123

A

Dealer

abc-123

Expected Result

Item

Advice

Key

Sales Amount

Invoice

Price

A

Include

abc-123

A

Dealer

abc-123

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sure.  You've got a slight mistake in how you're setting up the query.  Remember, FILTER returns a table, so use that for the table you're summing across in your SUMX.  I just replaced the first '2018 RAW Data' term with your FILTER term:

SalesTotal = SUMX(FILTER('2018 RAW Data', '2018 RAW Data'[advice] = SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data'[advice]) && '2018 RAW Data'[Key] = SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data','2018 RAW Data'[Key])), '2018 RAW Data'[Sales Amount])

I think there are other issues (like you name a table then a column in your second SELECTEDVALUE when you only need the column), but this should get you started.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Cmcmahan
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

This should do the trick:

SalesTotal = SUMX(Table[Sales Amount],FILTER(Table, Table[Advice] = SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Advice]) && Table[Key] = SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Key]) ))

Note that this will only evaluate when you're in a context where you only have 1 Advice and 1 Key, which will happen automatically when putting this into a table.  If you're trying to use this in future calculations, they all need to have the data set filtered to having only one advice and key, or this will return a blank.  You can also use MAX or FIRSTNONBLANK instead of SELECTEDVALUE if you want to always return something.

Set up a measure for each column you're summing this way, and you're good to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Please see below my formula is giving me an error,Can any one suggest?

ERROR:"Too many arguments were passed to the SUMX function. The maximum argument count for the function is 2."

SalesTotal = SUMX('2018 RAW Data','2018 RAW Data'[Sales Amount],

FILTER('2018 RAW Data','2018 RAW Data'[advice]=

SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data'[advice]) && '2018 RAW Data'[Key]=

SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data','2018 RAW Data'[Key])))

Sure.  You've got a slight mistake in how you're setting up the query.  Remember, FILTER returns a table, so use that for the table you're summing across in your SUMX.  I just replaced the first '2018 RAW Data' term with your FILTER term:

SalesTotal = SUMX(FILTER('2018 RAW Data', '2018 RAW Data'[advice] = SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data'[advice]) && '2018 RAW Data'[Key] = SELECTEDVALUE('2018 RAW Data','2018 RAW Data'[Key])), '2018 RAW Data'[Sales Amount])

I think there are other issues (like you name a table then a column in your second SELECTEDVALUE when you only need the column), but this should get you started.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for your Help and Explaniation.

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Merge those two columns together and put that new column as the row option in a matrix?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Can i do it without Matrix Visulization?

I need to use result for further calculations.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.