Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

delphinew
Helper III
Helper III

Sum a multiplication with if

Hi everyone, 

I am a newbie at Power BI, very used to Qlik but have to change software. 

I have an issue with a formula of that type : sum(quantity*if(cost_a<>0;cost_a;cost_b)). To do that, I have 2 tables :

- TRANSACTION

- ARTICLES

as shown below

Capture.PNG

I highlighted the column needed for the calculation. I then want to have the result of course for each product but also for each type of client (as you can see, the column is sadly empty) :

Capture2.PNG

I tried to combine the IF function with the SUM, the SUM with FILTER, and didn't succeed to anything. I guess I don't know how to use the IF function properly. If anyone could help me on that issue, it would be great !

Thank you very much for your help, 

Delphine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@delphinew Try like. maxx

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));
 "M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@delphinew 

Try combine with your actual model, I am not clear of how is your model looks like but try something like this:

Measure = 
var costtable = SUMMARIZE('Transaction','Transaction'[ART_code], 'Transaction'[Product], 'Transaction'[Client Type],'Transaction'[Cost a], 'Transaction'[Cost b],"Cost", IF('Transaction'[Cost a]<>0,'Transaction'[Cost a],'Transaction'[Cost b]))

Return SUMX(ALLEXCEPT(costtable,[product],[client type]),'Transaction'[Quantity]*[Cost])

The idea is create a column of actual cost, you can store it in the measure like above using Summarize, or just create a calculated column in the transaction table: 

cost column= IF('Transaction'[Cost a]<>0,'Transaction'[Cost a],'Transaction'[Cost b])

measure = SUMX(ALLEXCEPT('Transaction',[product],[client type]),[Quantity]*cost column)

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft , 

thank you for your answer, I get your idea, but why should I need to create a new table to be able to perform that formula or create a new column in the original table ? I think it complexifies the model by repeating a piece of information already existing. in Qlik, the formula is as follow : 

sum({$<V_annee={'$(=max(CalendarYear))'},V_type={'*vente*'}>}V_qte*if(ART_PRI<>0,ART_PRI,ART_PRI_Exact))

without any addition to the tables I have nore any new table (even temporary).

If I have no other choice, I will create a new column in my table ARTICLES, but I rather won't.

Thank you very much for your help !

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@delphinew ,

Try like: sumx(Summmarize(Article[ArtCOde],"M1",maxx(Atricle,if(Art_pri<>0, art_prc,art_pri_excat)),"M2",sum(Trascation[]V_qty)),[M1]*[M2])

Hi @amitchandak 

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";max(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));"M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])but I have 2 errors :

- cannot find one unique value for ART_PRI_Exact in talbe ARTICLES
- cannot find the name ART_PRI and ART_PRI_Exact (fyi, Exact is the name of our ERP) 
thank you for your help !

@delphinew Try like. maxx

sumx(SUMMARIZE(ARTICLES;ARTICLES[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));
 "M2";sum('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M1]*[M2])

Hi @amitchandak 

thank you for your quick answer ! 🙂 I had an error first with MAXX that's why I put only MAXX (did not understand there were 2 different functions, sorry). I have no more error on the measure but it can't be shown on the screen : there is another error "la fin de l'entrée a été atteinte" which could be translated by "the end of the entry has been reached". Any idea ?

thank you very much, 

Delphine

@amitchandak I got it : I am multiplicating a reference with a price... 😥 Let me try to fix it, and I tell you.

Hi @amitchandak , I tried to do it step by step to understand where could the errors come from and it still doesn't work : even the IF function returns me an error "cannot find name" while I followed the example given there if function dax microsoft docs 

if([ART_PRI]<>0;[ART_PRI];[ART_PRI_Exact])

and "impossible to have one unique value"

if(ARTICLES[ART_PRI]<>0;ARTICLES[ART_PRI];ARTICLES[ART_PRI_Exact])

or 

if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0;'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact])

(I still don't understand why sometimes you have ' before and after the name of the table, and sometimes you don't).

The COG calculation is supposed to be one of my simplest calculations, I am quite afraid for the other ones I have to do 😢

thank you very much for your help !

Hi, 

I don't know why, but after a dozen tries, the IF function did work. So here is the formula now :

sumx(SUMMARIZE('ARTICLES';'ARTICLES'[ART_code];"M1";maxx(ARTICLES;if('ARTICLES'[ART_PRI]<>0; 'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI];'ARTICLES'[ART_PRI_Exact]));"M2";SUM('TRANSACTION'[V_qte]));[M2]*[M1])

it is a half success.

When I put the measure in front of my articles, I got the expected result (I created a calculated column ART_PRI_calc to check the result) :

Capture3.PNG 

but put in front of my client categories, it goes wrong :

Capture4.PNG

any idea ?

thank you very much !

Hi, 

I think I have a clue: Power BI didn't load my entire table ARTICLES, only half the lines (1300 vs 2500)... I am trying to understand why, because the table is not so big and my table TRANSACTION has been fully loaded while way to big. I deleted and recreated the query numerous times, still doesn't work. Is there a maximum of lines for xlsx files to be imported to Power BI ?

thank you !

@amitchandak I finally suceeded to load my whole table ARTICLES and your formula did work ! 😁 thank you very much ! I still have to resolve the not-loading issue (I deleted and recreated the query 5 times to make it work, without changing anything, so quite strange for me)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.