Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum Value in two different table based on a single date filter

Hi Guys,

So i am not sure the subject properly describes the issue, so i'd explain.

So i have two different tables (import from SQL)

Table One Contains All Transactions (2012 - Date)

Table Two Contains Transactions for a Specfic Service line(Eg, POS Terminals).(2020 - Date)

Both tables have datetime stamps with the customers ID linking both tables.

I would like to summarize both tables with visuals using just one date.(Eg Count of transactions on Table 1 + Count of trans on table 2).

So that one date filter connects both tables to filter values, counts, etc.

I have tried creating a calender table and then creating a relationship to it with table 1 and 2 but this doesn't work as I can view values from table 1( which contains more data) but table two truncates(Just shows one date)

Please i really need help on this as it a project i need to deliver on.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Anonymous 

If there is a relationship that between table1 and table2? If yes, you couldn't create two relationship between date table and table1/table2 at the same time, since it will lead to circular dependencies problem, for example:

If you have create a relationship between table1 and date table.

when you filter a date table, then it will filter table1, now table1 will filter table2 too. But you want to create another relationship between table2 and date table, now date table will filter table2 and table will filter table1, this is a circular dependency.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What you are describing doesn't make any sense. Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

The most important parts are:
1. Sample data as text, use the table tool in the editing bar
2. Expected output from sample data
3. Explanation in words of how to get from 1. to 2.

If you have:

Table1 *<--1 Calendar 1 -->*Table2

You use Calendar[Date] in your visual and a measure like: Measure = COUNTROWS('Table1') + COUNTROWS('Table2') I do not see why Tabl2 would be truncated to a single row.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. So here is a summary.

1. I have created the date calender table

2. I have also linked the two tables to the calender tables using the date column.

3. However, one of the relationship is currently inactive and so the NewCalender filter only shows results from the active table relationship

See attached,

20200516_000117.jpg

158958385803291491804567318381.jpg

Well, if it is inactive you likely have a second pathway between those two tables. Recreating the relationship will not work if this is the case. You have few options, you can use USERELATIONSHIP in your measure/column. You can try to edit your relationships so that you do not have duplicate paths between tables.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Try deleting the relation and recreate ... once the relationships are active, then it should be good.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.