Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sum Totals using values from two different tables

I've looked around for a solution and tried the following, but it gives me this error which I don't understand because I am not using a "true/false" expression or any boolean values:   "a function 'FILTER' has been used in a True/False expression that is used as a table filter expression. This is not allowed."

I am simply trying to sum the totals of the Orders in the Rebate Table, based on the values of the Orders from the Flu_Shipped table.      The Rebate Table contains a subset of order #'s from the main shipping table.   

The "expected" result is that the sum should equal the value of the orders(ERP) column from the Rebate Table.    

But what is happening, is that the sum is totaling the value of all shipments...not just the subset of orders from the Rebate Table.    The rebate table does not contain any shipping values....so it needs to pick up those values from the "shipped" table. 

There is a relationship between "orders" on the shipped table, and "orders(erp)" on the rebate table.  

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Shipped Price]),FILTER(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020,Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Date Shipped]) in VALUES('Rebate Data'[Date Approved]))

total.pngmodel.png
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

The filter is closing at the wrong place

It should like this

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Shipped Price]),
FILTER(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020,Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Date Shipped] in VALUES('Rebate Data'[Date Approved])))

I think you might have to use treatas. In place of in values. Just explore the link

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/treatas-function

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

The filter is closing at the wrong place

It should like this

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Shipped Price]),
FILTER(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020,Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Date Shipped] in VALUES('Rebate Data'[Date Approved])))

I think you might have to use treatas. In place of in values. Just explore the link

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/treatas-function

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @amitchandak 

The formula you gave did not work...but I beleive it was because my formula was not referencing the right fields.  

However, your suggestion to you use TREATAS was the perfect solution!   I literally was able to use the example formula on that page.  

One small issue:   The measure is returning all order #'s in the shipping table if I put that on my visual (which I need to).   How can I adjust the measure to ONLY include results where the order numbers match in both tables?   

You can see below, starting with Order "39"....

measure = CALCULATE(
SUM(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Shipped Price]),
TREATAS(VALUES(Flu_Shipped_2018_to_2020[Order]), 'Rebate Data'[Order (ERP)])
)

measure.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.