Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

KadenB
Frequent Visitor

Sum Overlapping Values In a Table to Remove from Total Sum

I am looking for a solution to sum values from one table. 
Suppose I have the table shown below: 

Example.PNG

If I want to sum the amount of money raised by helmet purchases and bike perchases seperately I would get this:

Helmets: 140 and Bikes: 350. However, what I want is to remove the amount of money made by people who baught both a helmet and a bike, which in this case PersonID one is the only person who bought two different items. Here then my Helmet sum would be 100, and my Bike sum would be 250. 
I am able to count how many people overlap between the two groups with this post https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Calculating-overlap-between-selected-groups/td-p/128624, however I am having trouble getting the sum of the Amount column. Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

1. Create one calculated Column

Flag =
var _pID= Overlapping[PersonID]
return IF( ISBLANK(CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),
FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[PersonID]=_pID && Overlapping[Product]<>EARLIER(Overlapping[Product])))),1,0)

Flag1.PNG

2. Create Measure for Bike and Helmet 

Bike = CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[Flag]=1 && Overlapping[Product]="Bike"))

Helmet = CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[Flag]=1 && Overlapping[Product]="Helmet"))

Excllude.PNG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Need more clarity on your requirement. 

As per my understanding you want to remove the product who bought two different items ? If yes which product we want to remove.

KadenB
Frequent Visitor

Hi, I want to remove the amount raised by people who bought two different items. So the sum of the amount raised I want is the sum for only people who bought either helmets or bikes and not both. So if I look at how much money was generated by Helmets I would get a sum that includes only people that bought helmets and not people that bought both helmets and bikes if that makes sense?

Baskar
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

1. Create one calculated Column

Flag =
var _pID= Overlapping[PersonID]
return IF( ISBLANK(CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),
FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[PersonID]=_pID && Overlapping[Product]<>EARLIER(Overlapping[Product])))),1,0)

Flag1.PNG

2. Create Measure for Bike and Helmet 

Bike = CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[Flag]=1 && Overlapping[Product]="Bike"))

Helmet = CALCULATE(SUM(Overlapping[Amount]),FILTER(Overlapping,Overlapping[Flag]=1 && Overlapping[Product]="Helmet"))

Excllude.PNG

KadenB
Frequent Visitor

Thank you very much for your answer. This works correctly for what I asked. I was wondering if its possible to push the solution a step further and base the overlap as to whether or not they bought two different items in the same time period versus whether or not they bought two different items period. I had been trying to work on a solution for this, currently I have something like this: 
I manged to make a fomula that I believe is close, however because of the filter at the end of product type Helmet, it returns me the same value as calculating all helmet sales regardless of overlap. I'm wondering if there is a better solution?
Amount raised only from helmets =

SUMX(
     CALCULATETABLE(
                SUMMARIZE(Overlap,Overlap[* PersonId],Overlap[Sale Date],Overlap[Amount ],"Amount", 
                       IF(Overlap[Sale Date]<= MAX('Date'[Date]) && Overlap[Sale Date] >= MIN('Date'[Date]) && DISTINCTCOUNT(Overlap[Product])=1,SUM(Overlap[Amount]))),
                        FILTER(Overlap,Overlap[Product] ="Helmet")),[Amount])

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.