Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wbokunic
Frequent Visitor

Sum Not Correct

Hi, so I've got a weird issue.

I'm using a CSV file with > 2,000,000 rows (~700MB size) that's saved over to a OneDrive account and connected to a PowerBI dataset. This dataset is then connected to a PowerBI Desktop file. The issue is that the sum values are incorrect. Without getting into too much detail, I work in a contact center and have our call data filtered to 9/13 - 9/19 and I'm looking for a sum total of our queued calls. (Using dummy numbers) PowerBI reports this number to be 1,000, but if I use the same exact filter in Excel (using Power Query) or Alteryx (what's generating the file) I get 1,900. It's just a straight sum, nothing fancy.

I thought the issue might've been that PowerBI did a count instead of sum, but that's not it. I then checked if maybe PowerBI has a row limit like Excel, but the best I can tell is that it only has a file size limit (that I'm nowhere near). So I'm stumped. Anyone know what is going on here? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You can setup schedulle refresh on the service.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @wbokunic ,

Have you checked if the total row number in PBI is the same has in your CSV?

On the Data table window look at the bottom right and check if the line numbers match with your file.

Regards

Miguel Félix

So I don't think Data Table is available given the data source being a dataset, but I did a count by date and got 1,048,575. This is the Excel row limit. I thought PowerBI didn't have row limits like this?

To what I can understand that has to do with the conversion engine of the csv that is similar to the one in excel. 

Check if this post helps to overcome that limit. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/import-CSV-file-with-more-than-1048576-rows/td-p/71129

Regards

Miguel Félix

Yeah that'll work, but then we'd lose the ability to automatically have the report refresh, correct? 

You can setup schedulle refresh on the service.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.