Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hnguyen76
Resolver II
Resolver II

Sum Measure Grand Total in Visual is Blank

Good morning, All.

I have a few simple measures that seems to give me the correct numbers but my grand total is showing as blank. I can't for the life of me understand why my total isn't showing. To explain, I am summing up a field called Difference and doing a comparison just to see if the previous quarter's numbers matches the current quarter's numbers.

missing_total.png

My base measure is a typical sum: 

Total Difference = SUM('Table'[Difference])

To calculate my previous quarter's numbers, I had to do some dax magic:

Previous = 
var _SelectedPeriod = SELECTEDVALUE('Table'[Year_Quarter], MAX('Table'[Year_Quarter]))
var _QuarterNum = VALUE(RIGHT(PATHITEM(SUBSTITUTE(_SelectedPeriod, "-", "|"), 1, TEXT), 1))
var _YearNum = PATHITEM(SUBSTITUTE(_SelectedPeriod, "-", "|"), 2, INTEGER)
var _PreviousPeriod = IF(_QuarterNum = 1, "Q4-" & _YearNum-1, "Q" & _QuarterNum - 1 & "-" & _YearNum)
RETURN
CALCULATE([Total Difference], 'Table'[Year_Quarter] = _PreviousPeriod)

Then I calculated my current quarter's numbers which is a bit simpler:

Current = 
var _SelectedPeriod = MAX('Table'[Year_Quarter])
RETURN
CALCULATE([Total Difference], 'Table'[Year_Quarter] = _SelectedPeriod)

Finally, this is where it gets confusion. My logic is if current difference = previous difference, return me current difference. The numbers comes out correct it's just that the grand total isn't there:

Bucket1 = 
var _Current = [Current]
var _Previous = [Previous]
RETURN
IF(_Current = _Previous, _Current, BLANK())

EDIT: Here's a permalink to a sample PBI: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjMAdFmWoN-JakiK6JBX64vNwSw?e=LJFZyp

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @hnguyen76 

whats result do you expect in Total of Bucket1?

If sum of each values of this column try

Bucket1 = sumx('Table';IF([Current] = [Previous]; [Current]; BLANK()))

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution

LinkedIn

LinkedIn

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @hnguyen76 

whats result do you expect in Total of Bucket1?

If sum of each values of this column try

Bucket1 = sumx('Table';IF([Current] = [Previous]; [Current]; BLANK()))

LinkedIn

LinkedIn

@hnguyen76 I would highly recommend to use time intelligence functions by adding calendar in your model. There is no need to write complex DAX code when this can be achieved by using in-built functions and can provide scalable solution. Let's not solve the problem for the purpose of solve it but think how to approach with scalable and simpler way.

Here is more details on time intelligence function and you can find many posts on how to add calendar in your model.

Would appreciate Kudos 🙂 if my solution helped.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi @az38 ,
Thanks for the response. -29,816.42 was the expected total and the SUMX did work and in terms of the sample data but when I applied it to my actual real numbers (which uses the same table) it gives me a different result:

wrong_result.png

The formula is as followed:

#Same Diff = SUMX(Dim_L1_Historical, IF([Current] = [Previous], [Current], BLANK()))

@parry2k ,
Thanks for your response and I normally would use a date table to create time intelligence calculations but I'm working with a data set that does not have an actual date. For this current iteration, it would be more work to convert the string into a date. 

Don’t take me wrong, I will still add first or last date of the quarter and add date dimension in the model to avoid all this you are trying to achieve using these DAX expressions. Anyhow, good luck. You are in safe hands 😃

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hnguyen76 

and so whatr are you expect to see in 

#Same Diff 

column? there are only two zeros in your example

LinkedIn

Hi @az38,
I'm expecting to see -50,971.82 instead of the zeros

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hnguyen76 

try

Bucket1 = calculate(sumx('Table';IF([Current] = [Previous]; [Current]; BLANK())))

LinkedIn

@az38 ,

Same result. I'm only getting the zeros which are wrong in any case.

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@hnguyen76 

I cant repeat the error on my dummy data

maybe its context question or [current] or [previous] calculation

LinkedIn

Hey @az38 ,
Turns out deleting and recreating my measure fixed it. Thanks for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.