Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

Sum HH:MM:SS field

I have a field which is the time of a call as a string format, it's derived from the Duration field which is in seconds. The DnNO field is the ID for the person making the calls. Now if I remove the other columns, the Calculated Column Time won't aggregate itself since it's a string format. I can't do a sum over it either. What's the best way to show the amount of minutes called in this case?

Example PBI Calls.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
vivran22
Community Champion
Community Champion

@MauriceMecowe 

Hi,

It is not very clear from your description on the output you need, you can convert the text duration into time and then create measures to show the total duration. You may also use the Duration column to calculate total duration.

I have created a sample pbix file here

If you could share the expetcted outcome, then it would help in suggesting a better way.

Rgds,

Vivek

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @vivran22 ,

Your solution is exactly what I need, but the only difference is that my Time field is a string and not a time/date type column. And I don't see an easy way to transfrom this from within SSAS. 

@MauriceMecowe 

Have you tried transforming the column in Power Query(Right Click on the table > Edit Query) ?

There's also the option of summing the appropriate Duration fields and re-converting it to HH:MM:SS format for display. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.