Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

thomasgcoelho
Frequent Visitor

Sum Current Status by Day

Hello!

I'm having trouble trying to make visualizations about COVID status change on various employees.

I have an SQL source table like this:

IndexEmployeeDateStatusRegion
1Person A16/08/2020No symptomsNorth
2Person B16/08/2020SuspectNorth
3Person C16/08/2020No symptomsWest
4Person A17/08/2020SuspectNorth
5Person D17/08/2020No symptomsWest
6Person E17/08/2020No symptomsEast
7Person F17/08/2020ConfirmedWest
8Person A18/08/2020ConfirmedNorth
9Person B18/08/2020SuspectNorth
10Person C18/08/2020SuspectWest

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eP_zSoF0t37OQ4xxCf46TwxE5X0ICdl_4Je4H_OWzsA/edit?usp=sharing

The goal is to create matrix visuals like this for each region:

thomasgcoelho_1-1597808538665.png 

Behaviour note: In the example above we see that on the first day (16/08/2020) we only have employee "Person C" input in the West region, with status "No symptoms". He didn't have an update on the next day (17/08/2020), so he keeps counting as a "No symptoms". On day 18/08/2020, however, his status is changed to "Suspect".

The source table is going to have many many thousands of lines. What are your suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here is a variation that looks at the question a bit different. Namely, it also considers what happens outside of the test range, especially before.  For that an additional measure "Unknown"  is added to cover all the days before the first result for each person.

A Dates table is used in disconnected mode.  The measures are added to the matrix with "show on rows". That gives the added advantage that you can control the sort order, making it a bit more logical.  A Totals row can be added if desired, but it's not really useful as it will be the same for all days. Below shows the example when "West" is filtered.

lbendlin_0-1597890736183.png

Here are the measures:

Unknown := 
var d = max(SymptomDates[Date])
var e = SELECTCOLUMNS(allselected(Symptoms[Employee]),"emp",Symptoms[Employee])
var s= ADDCOLUMNS(e,"FirstDate",CALCULATE(min(Symptoms[Date]),Filter(allselected(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp])))
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(s,"Check",if([FirstDate]>d,1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

No Symptoms := 
var ld= ADDCOLUMNS(e,"LastDate",CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Date]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]<=d && Symptoms[Status] in {"No Symptoms","Suspect","Confirmed"})))
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="No Symptoms",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

Suspect := 
var ld= ADDCOLUMNS(e,"LastDate",CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Date]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]<=d && Symptoms[Status] in {"No Symptoms","Suspect","Confirmed"})))
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="Suspect",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

Confirmed := 
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="Confirmed",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

yes, there's room for improvement, for sure...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is one way to do it.

Add a disconnected table (no relationship to other tables), by clicking on New Table on the Modeling tab and enter the expression below.

StatusValues = VALUES(Covid[Status])

Make a matrix visual with the above column on rows, your Date column on column, and this measure in Values (replace Covid with your actual table name).

Latest Status Count =
SUMX (
VALUES ( StatusValues[Status] ),
CALCULATE (
VAR thisstatus =
SELECTEDVALUE ( StatusValues[Status] )
VAR thisdate =
MIN ( Covid[Date] )
VAR summary =
ADDCOLUMNS (
ALL ( Covid[Employee] ),
"latest", CALCULATE (
LASTNONBLANKVALUE ( Covid[Date], MIN ( Covid[Status] ) ),
ALL ( Covid[Date] ),
Covid[Date] <= thisdate
)
)
RETURN
COUNTROWS ( FILTER ( summary, [latest] = thisstatus ) ) + 0
)
)

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Here is a variation that looks at the question a bit different. Namely, it also considers what happens outside of the test range, especially before.  For that an additional measure "Unknown"  is added to cover all the days before the first result for each person.

A Dates table is used in disconnected mode.  The measures are added to the matrix with "show on rows". That gives the added advantage that you can control the sort order, making it a bit more logical.  A Totals row can be added if desired, but it's not really useful as it will be the same for all days. Below shows the example when "West" is filtered.

lbendlin_0-1597890736183.png

Here are the measures:

Unknown := 
var s= ADDCOLUMNS(e,"FirstDate",CALCULATE(min(Symptoms[Date]),Filter(allselected(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp])))
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(s,"Check",if([FirstDate]>d,1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

No Symptoms := 
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="No Symptoms",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

Suspect := 
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="Suspect",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

Confirmed := 
var c= ADDCOLUMNS(ld,"Check",if(CALCULATE(max(Symptoms[Status]),filter(ALLSELECTED(Symptoms),Symptoms[Employee]=[emp] && Symptoms[Date]=[LastDate]))="Confirmed",1,0))
return sumx(c,[Check])

yes, there's room for improvement, for sure...

Thank you @lbendlin and @mahoneypat for the replies.

I applied Ibedlin's solution but I don't get it right. My final matrix always shows the number of the final day for all the days, as seen below:

thomasgcoelho_0-1598412433265.png

I've double-checked the Measure's code and the date table (disconnected). First I went for CALENDARAUTO() and then CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE(Symptoms[Date]),LASTDATE(Symptoms[Date])). Do you have a suggestion about this problem?

I uploaded the .pbix file here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/153iCRT5u80nXolMgY1jMBcXFlRoYgyIE/view?usp=sharing

Thanks all!

You used the wrong date field in the visual. It needs to be SymptomDates[Date], not Symptoms[Date].

I would also recommed this changed formula for SymptomDates

SymptomDates = CALENDAR(FIRSTDATE(Symptoms[Date])-1,LASTDATE(Symptoms[Date])+1)

Thank you very much! Now it works.

I also marked the post before as the solution.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

One approach is to fill the gaps in between measurements.  Use the CROSSFILTER(,,NONE) pattern between your fact table and your dates table and a LASTNONBLANKVALUE base measure to fill them. That approach scales well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.