Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

texmexdragon2
Helper V
Helper V

Suggestions for how to tackle historical snapshots (DAX or Power query?)

Hello Community  -  So my situation is this:   

We have SF but do not have the historical module implemented for whatever reason.   So instead, we have a monthly "snapshot" of our opportunities that gets automatically exported out on the last day of each month.   Of course each of these snapshots contains many of the same date values as the snapshot for the previous months.  So the June snapshot file will contain opportunities estimated to close in July, Aug, Sept, etc....and then the July file will contain those same opportunities (plus any additional ones that have come into the picture since the June snapshot file).     

I have all of the year's snapshots (January - September) in one appended file.   

You can likely see where I'm headed.   If I just listed out the months in a standard table, the values would be huge because each month's values get replicated several times over.  

I do have each file labeled (Jan 2022, Feb 2022, etc).   

My end goal is that I need to compare the change in values between each file period, by looking at each file month independently. 

For example, the January file might show this: 

Opportunity Name        Value        Probability

Opportunity A               $34,500       70%

And the February File might show this

Opportunity A              $31,000        80%

I need to compare how this particular opportunity changed from one file month to the next.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@texmexdragon2 So, perhaps what you need to do is import each file independently and add a Month and probably Year column. Then set them to not load in the data model and create an Append query for all of them that does load. Then you can compare opportunities across months/years. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@texmexdragon2 So, perhaps what you need to do is import each file independently and add a Month and probably Year column. Then set them to not load in the data model and create an Append query for all of them that does load. Then you can compare opportunities across months/years. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.