Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mbjohnson
Helper I
Helper I

Sudden SQL Error on DataSource refresh (CASE expressions)

Getting this error now when I went to refresh my datasource...

error.PNG.jpg

This is in a project that has been working fine. I went to add a field to the view that feeds this datasource. And that field was made up of a CASE statement with 3 levels. There are other small CASE statements in this view. The view runs fine in Sql Server Management Studio. I even tried removing the new CASE statements and still get the same error in Power BI. And this is using DirectQuery. Any thoughts of what is suddenly causing this?

7 REPLIES 7
afreije
Frequent Visitor

Any solution found?

So far, no. I submitted a support ticket and was told that this was a bug and would need to be corrected. I haven't been able to install any updates after November, 2017, as it was the December, 2017 release that introduced this bug. Wish I had more to tell you, but I haven't heard anything from the Power BI support team as to the status of this.

Has this issue been fixed yet? It has a support ticket # 117121817339201.

mbjohnson
Helper I
Helper I

A co-worker of mine that has NOT updated to the latest version had no problem refreshing the data source and pulling in the new field, so it looks like in this latest build something broke. Here is what he is currently using...

version.PNG

mbjohnson
Helper I
Helper I

Another piece of the puzzle. When looking at the trace logs, it has the following error entries listed when I try to refresh the data source...

errors.PNG

afreije
Frequent Visitor

I am getting the same on multiple reports of mine. Worked fine before the desktop update, and continues to refresh fine in the service (just not desktop version)

I just installed the latest update also a couple of days ago. This is the first change that I've had to make since installing the latest version.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.