Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subtract values in a measure for different categories

Hello community,

I am trying to implement mean score difference of two categories of survey questionnairs. Layout is a matrix.

'Mean response score' is the average of response score. Questionnaire categories- Initial and middle are selected by a slicer on the report.

Following is snapshot of my report:

mean score difference.PNG

I want to have a new measure that calculates the mean response score difference between intial and middle questionnaire categories.

Many thanks in advance,

Meena

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You should be able to do this with a measure something like the following (you might need to change the table reference, the code below assumes your table is called 'Survey') :

= CALCULATE( [Mean Response Score], 'Survey'[Category] = "Middle" )  - CALCULATE( [Mean Response Score], 'Survey'[Category] = "Initial" ) 

View solution in original post

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that add a custom column for matrix visual in Power BI for now.

As a workaround, you may try this way:

Select matrix visual, then click Format->column headers->word wrap, disable it.

Then adjust the width of the matrix column with difference measure.

6.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @Anonymous 

I'm afraid it couldn't achieve that add a custom column for matrix visual in Power BI for now.

As a workaround, you may try this way:

Select matrix visual, then click Format->column headers->word wrap, disable it.

Then adjust the width of the matrix column with difference measure.

6.JPG

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the work around v-lili6-msft. I really wish this is included as an improvement to matrix visual.

Thanks,

Meena

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You should be able to do this with a measure something like the following (you might need to change the table reference, the code below assumes your table is called 'Survey') :

= CALCULATE( [Mean Response Score], 'Survey'[Category] = "Middle" )  - CALCULATE( [Mean Response Score], 'Survey'[Category] = "Initial" ) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the solution d_gosbell. It works! But I would like to have mean difference only in Total, not for each category(initial and Middle) as it is at present in following snapshot:

mean score difference1.PNG

Some existing solutions on this forum, suggest to turn off 'Totals' in General format of the matrix, but I don't see any 'totals' in general format:

totals.PNG

Please advise. The version of my Power BI desktop is :Version: 2.66.5376.1681 64-bit (February 2019)

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.