Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sjoshi
Helper II
Helper II

Subtract two subtotals and calculate profit and loss over time functions such as proir month, Qtr,

Hello

We are building Income Statment and Balanace Sheet reports using power BI. We are facing two problems. Urgent hlep needed

1. How to subtract two subtaotla to get Gross Profit and Loss values. Detailed problem is expliane in below ticket.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Profit-Loss-on-Matrix-Table-in-power-BI/td-p/508365

2. When we show to the total in the end we want insted of total subtraction of Assets- (Liabilities & Euqity)=0 

We are able to get this for Selected month with below measure not how to apply time dimension on those to get Prior month, Prior Qtr, Prior Year

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Matrix-Total-Subtracted-Value-in-Power-BI-Desktop/m-p/50444...

Thanks

Smita

3 REPLIES 3
sjoshi
Helper II
Helper II

Dear all,

I have stuck in calculating the Profit / Loss between two subgroups. I am pulling data from a single column and creating subgroup and group in power BI and drag that groups to Matrix table. But, I need to do some calculations as mentioned below, Please show me a way to achieve this result and it would be much appreciated. 

1. Sum of Net Revenue - Sum of Cost of Revenue = Gross Profit (on a separate Total)

2. Sum of Other expenses + Gross Profit = Profit Other Expenses

3. Sum of Other income + Profit Other Expenses = Profit Before Tax

4. Sum of Tax + Profit Before Tax = Profit (Loss)

MatrixProfitLoss.PNG

Please refer below link from my team for excel and pbix file.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Profit-Loss-on-Matrix-Table-in-power-BI/td-p/508365 

Hi @sjoshi,

Nope, power bi not contains column index and row index, so you can't use dax formula to achieve recursive calculation.

For your scenario, you can consider to achieve these effect in excel pivot table or try to use LN, EXP and other function to achieve these.

Recursive Calculations in PowerPivot using DAX

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Xiaoxin,

is this still the case in 2019?

I'm building a Income Statement in Power bi and have a similar problem with subtotal like Gross prodift and Profit.

do you perhaps ahve any alternative ideas on how I may achive this?

thanks

Fadiel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.