Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

onbi
Helper I
Helper I

Subtotals on Matrix Report

I'm facing a unique problem with sub-totals on Power BI Matrix Report. I've created a subtotal on one of the grouping column called "Subinventory". Also, on the same column, I've defined a dropdown filter. Now, the sub-total works fine when I select a particular subinventory from the filter. However, the matrix report is not displaying the sub-totals at all when the Subinventory filter is set to "All".

I've been trying to resolve this issue for past one day and have looked all around the web and nothing seems to point me in the right direction. Can anyone please guide/help me in finding what's the issue here and the solution?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@onbi 

To achieve your desired output as it looks on the picture you've posted follow these steps:

1) your Matrix should have Warehouse, Location and Items in the Rows and Qty, Cost and Value in the Values area

(this Cost column may have to be replaced by a Measure like the one below)

2) so select your Matrix and then click the Format button (Paint Brush)

3) open the Row Headers options => toggle Stepped Layout => Off => close the Row Headers options

3) open the Subtotals options => in Row subtotal label => replace the Total text => type Sub-Total

4) while still in the Subtotals options => scroll down to the bottom option => Per row level and turn it On

5) you will now see 3 addtional options to control the labels and subtotals for Warehouse, Location and Item

6) turn Off both Warehouse and Location (you only want Subtotals at the Item level so leave those on)

That should do it! 🙂

If you get a subtotal for the Cost which you don't want to show you can write a simple Measure to use instead.

Cost Measure = IF ( HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Item] ), MIN ( 'Table'[Cost] ), BLANK() )

Hope this helps! 

View solution in original post

Hi @onbi,

The reply of @Sean made me realize I didn't understood the real issue. I have created a PBIX file that contains your desired matrix, you can download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ancq8HFZYL_aiIw_YXDrEgo8Q5u5lg?e=SHj3pp 

The matrix in the PBIX file looks like this:

image.png

Let me know if you need any more help 🙂 And thanks @Sean !

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Could you please provide some screenshots/mock up data/desired output? Based on this description alone it is very hard to help you I think.

Kind regards

Djerro123

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Sorry, I should've provided the current report vs. desired output via mock up data to help explain the problem. Below is the current report output vs. what I want out of sub-total feature on matrix report.

Current Output

WarehouseLocationItemQtyCostValue
TorontoABC12312929
 EFG92318989
 RIT92011212
 Sub-Total 23247730

Desired Output

WarehouseLocationItemQtyCostValue
TorontoABC12312929
 Sub-Total 3 49
 EFG92318989
 Sub-Total 14 319
 RIT92011212
 Sub-Total 6 362
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@onbi 

To achieve your desired output as it looks on the picture you've posted follow these steps:

1) your Matrix should have Warehouse, Location and Items in the Rows and Qty, Cost and Value in the Values area

(this Cost column may have to be replaced by a Measure like the one below)

2) so select your Matrix and then click the Format button (Paint Brush)

3) open the Row Headers options => toggle Stepped Layout => Off => close the Row Headers options

3) open the Subtotals options => in Row subtotal label => replace the Total text => type Sub-Total

4) while still in the Subtotals options => scroll down to the bottom option => Per row level and turn it On

5) you will now see 3 addtional options to control the labels and subtotals for Warehouse, Location and Item

6) turn Off both Warehouse and Location (you only want Subtotals at the Item level so leave those on)

That should do it! 🙂

If you get a subtotal for the Cost which you don't want to show you can write a simple Measure to use instead.

Cost Measure = IF ( HASONEVALUE ( 'Table'[Item] ), MIN ( 'Table'[Cost] ), BLANK() )

Hope this helps! 

Thank you @Sean for the detailed steps. Yes, I later realized that in order to group by location and have sub-total, I need to have sub-total at Item level. I think. its just the way the grouping is performed by Power BI on Matrix report.

Based on the DAX expression for not displaying the sub-total for the cost, I believe that, there is no switch to turn of the sub-total for a particular value in the report.

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi,

Please have a look at this article: https://www.ehansalytics.com/blog/2019/4/21/the-matrix-visual-and-ways-to-show-subtotals
In the format section of your matrix, you can alter subtotal behavior. If you want some subtotals, but not at every level, change the setting in the Subtotals section, Per row level settings. If Per row level is set to off, you’ll have subtotals on or off for every row you have data in. Turn it off for every rowlevel and turn it on for Location level 🙂

Thank you djerro123. Yes, I've it the per row level switched on and the Location Sub-total is set to On as well, while for rest of the datapoints it's set to off. But, with that function, I'm seeing the current output and not the output, which I need.

However, when I switch on the Per Row Level for Item, it's then that I get the Sub-Total for each location.

I guess, it's just the way the data hierarchy and grouping done by Power BI Tool while generating a matrix report. 🙂 Any thoughts?

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Ok then please share your pbix because this is standard functionality and if my solution doesn't work the either we found a big or something else is influencing the result. You can share the link here in in PM if you don't want to share publicly.

Thank you djerro123 for your help. This is the first time I'm developing a Matrix Report in Power BI with Sub-Total.

I dont see how I can share my pbix file with you as I dont see an option to attach the file.

JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi, you can use onedrive or Google drive for example to share via link 🙂

Hi @onbi,

The reply of @Sean made me realize I didn't understood the real issue. I have created a PBIX file that contains your desired matrix, you can download it here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ancq8HFZYL_aiIw_YXDrEgo8Q5u5lg?e=SHj3pp 

The matrix in the PBIX file looks like this:

image.png

Let me know if you need any more help 🙂 And thanks @Sean !

Kind regards

Djerro123

Hi, 

I have the same issue. I want result as above but I can't check your link. Also I have power BI June 2023 and this subtotals don't work like I want them to. Could you please help me?

Hi I also want to subtotal for item can anyone help me in this 

Thank you @JarroVGIT  for the report. I guess it was just my lack of understanding as to how the grouping works in Power BI Matrix report. Thanks for clarifying it. 🙂 This helps!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors