Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Subtotal not working properly

Hi all!

I'm trying to get the total sum of a table, which has values in different currencies.

I started learning DAX two weeks ago but I managed to get the correct sum by month, but the subtotals are not working.

Basically...

I have a table with the value of each currency in dollar:

Factor.PNG

To get only the values in the ARS currency, I used:

Total_Orçado_ARS = SUMX(FILTER(Arg_Orcado;Arg_Orcado[Currency]="ARS");Arg_Orcado[ValorOrçado])

Total_ARS.PNG

To convert ARS to USD:

Convert_ARS_USD = SUMX(FILTER(db_Currency;db_Currency[LocalCurrency]="ARS");db_Currency[Factor])

And finally, to get the total amount corrected:

Total_ARS_USD = DIVIDE([Total_Orçado_ARS];[Convert_ARS_USD];0)

The result per row appears correct, but the subtotal does not.

ARS_USD.PNG

1) How can I get the correct subtotal (8.215.067,05 ARS)?

2) Any suggestions on how I can optimize this currency conversion?

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

For your question1 ,this looks like a measure totals problem. Essentially, create a "Calculate_Row" measure that calculates correct result at the row level.

Calculate_Row = DIVIDE([Total_Orçado_ARS],[Convert_ARS_USD],0)

Then, create a "Total_USD" measure that performs a SUMMARIZE of your data, exactly as how it is displayed in your table, and use the "Total_USD" measure within that SUMMARIZE function to provide the values for the individually summarized rows. Finally, perform a SUMX function across that summarized table to employed in the Total line. The HASONEVALUE function check whether it is really necessary to use that the SUMX.

Total_USD =

VAR _table = SUMMARIZE('db_Currency',[Mes_Nome_Mai],[Total_Orçado_ARS],[Convert_ARS_USD],"_Value",[Calculate_Row])

RETURN

IF(HASONEVALUE('db_Currency'[Mes_Nome_Mai]),[Calculate_Row],SUMX(_table,[_Value]))

Refer to this post about similar case: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907 .

For your question 2, you can create a "Convert_ARS_USD" measure to get currency rate.

Convert_ARS_USD = LOOKUPVALUE(db_Currency[Factor],Arg_Orcado[Currency],"ARS",Arg_Orcado[Mes_Nome_Mai],MAX(Arg_Orcado[Mes_Nome_Mai]))

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Amy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

For your question1 ,this looks like a measure totals problem. Essentially, create a "Calculate_Row" measure that calculates correct result at the row level.

Calculate_Row = DIVIDE([Total_Orçado_ARS],[Convert_ARS_USD],0)

Then, create a "Total_USD" measure that performs a SUMMARIZE of your data, exactly as how it is displayed in your table, and use the "Total_USD" measure within that SUMMARIZE function to provide the values for the individually summarized rows. Finally, perform a SUMX function across that summarized table to employed in the Total line. The HASONEVALUE function check whether it is really necessary to use that the SUMX.

Total_USD =

VAR _table = SUMMARIZE('db_Currency',[Mes_Nome_Mai],[Total_Orçado_ARS],[Convert_ARS_USD],"_Value",[Calculate_Row])

RETURN

IF(HASONEVALUE('db_Currency'[Mes_Nome_Mai]),[Calculate_Row],SUMX(_table,[_Value]))

Refer to this post about similar case: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Quick-Measures-Gallery/Measure-Totals-The-Final-Word/m-p/547907 .

For your question 2, you can create a "Convert_ARS_USD" measure to get currency rate.

Convert_ARS_USD = LOOKUPVALUE(db_Currency[Factor],Arg_Orcado[Currency],"ARS",Arg_Orcado[Mes_Nome_Mai],MAX(Arg_Orcado[Mes_Nome_Mai]))

If you have any other issue, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Amy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @v-xicai 

Digging a little more I discovered the LOOKUPVALUE. So I created the calculated column with this formula, so each line of value now has the conversion factor (depending on the local currency and month).

Worked like a charm.

But I will look the SUMMARIZE and HASONEVALUE formula later.

Thanks for the help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.