Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

primolee
Helper V
Helper V

Subtotal error

Hello everyone,

After all this time I use BI, this is the first time seeing such weird thing...

Subtotal Error.jpg

Left side is my data, there are only 3 rows and it is integer type.  Right side is report view, and as you see subtotal is 12599999.  I tried viewing min and max value, they are all the same 4200000.  Why is this happening?  There is no calculation in report view, calculations are done in Power Query and it is 100% integer type.

Is there a way to fix this? XDDD

Thank you!

Best regards,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @primolee ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1595924955143.png

I have not reproduced your problem, but I think you have two ways to solve this problem now.
1. Check the data model and recreate the table relationships.
2. Create a measure and add it to the table visual.

Dealing with Measure Totals 

Do you mind sharing your .pbix file?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@primolee , what is the data type. If it decimal change t whole number and check

It is integer (whole number), and there is no decimal at all.  Original data came from Excel and it is 4200000 in each row.

harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @primolee ,

Do you have the relationship established with Date Table.

I think the relationship is missing.

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Hello @harshnathani ,

Funny, there is no date column in this table.  However, it has a relationship link to another table with Date column.

When I remove the relationship, subtotal is correct.  However, this relationship is a must so I have to keep the relationship.

You can think of this table as a monthly budget table.  I have another table containing daily spending.  I am linking these two tables using Year/Month.

How should I solve this?  Thank you.

Best regards,

David

Hi @primolee ,

Which table is the Year/Month Colum which you have shown in the screenshot above. 

Can you share your .pbix file.

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Year/Month in the image is from monthly budget table.  And I have another table just for Year/Month.

Monthly Budget

|    <- 1 to 1, Bi-directional

Year/Month

|    <- 1 to N, Bi-directional

Daily Spending

In the image above, I am pulling both Year/Month and Est. Imp. Per Month from the same table "monthly budget" and there is no other column from other tables.

Just now, I changed the second relationship to single-direction, and the subtotal is correct...  I don't understand...  Even if I don't use any columns from Daily Spending table or Year/Month table, subtotal is wrong...  Shouldn't subtotal simply be adding all rows together?

And here is another problem:

Subtotal Error 2.jpg Subtotal Error 3.jpg

I used Buget from Cue Table as my Max value and spending from daily spending as value, max value shown is still 12599999.

This is simply driving me nuts... XD

Hi @primolee ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1595924955143.png

I have not reproduced your problem, but I think you have two ways to solve this problem now.
1. Check the data model and recreate the table relationships.
2. Create a measure and add it to the table visual.

Dealing with Measure Totals 

Do you mind sharing your .pbix file?

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-lionel-msft 

Because there are many sensitive data, I tried to recreate the same scenario with very simplified data.  However, everything is perfect and I cannot recreate the error that I encountered previously.  Maybe because there are more relationships involved in my original case.

Let me try to play around with the data.

Thank you so much for your help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.