Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WSmith

Subnet Map Visualization of Boolean Values Across an Organization

I have a data set that is boolean T/F and tied to an IP address. I was wondering what would be the best way to sort the IP Adress into a known subnet structure, visualize all subnets, then display PercentTrue and PercentFalse for each subnet. I would want it to look something like this mockup (fig1). Is this something a custom visualization would be able to support? What are some resources to help me get started? *Note: This is a very small sample of what I would want the result to look like. I would want to map a large organization's entire subnet map and have the ability to zoom or drill-down to this level.

fig1.png

3 REPLIES 3
Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@WSmith

Maybe you're looking for a representation tools rather than a reporting tool? Check Create a tree diagram in Microsoft Visio.

@Eric_Zhang

It looks like the new Shape Map tool released (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-june-update/) may be the ideal solution, but I will have to do some more digging. My thought is based on what the author said about using custom maps: "The visual is based on ESRI/TopoJSON maps and its flagship feature (not available in the Preview but expected next month when we move out of preview) is that you will be able to use your custom maps (geographical, seating arrangements, floor plans) with this control."

If I can build a network map to fit into this tool, I believe it will work well for what I was looking to achieve.

@Eric_Zhang

Visio is a great tool, but I'm not sure it is what I am looking for. I should elaborate more.

The visualization I want to build would serve as a tool that is representing a current status of how different subnets on the network look (with regards to status/health). It would inform an operator who could then take action on parts of the network that are returning a high percentage false. Visio would be great for building a diagram of the network tree structure, however it would only be a static image. My intent with this visualization is to feed it raw data on a daily basis as a sort of audit report.

There are certainly two distinct parts to what I am looking to accomplish.

1. How can I sort the IP address records into groups (Subnets) based on IP ranges within PowerBI? Would I need to create a new measure for each subnet?

2. How can I create or import a custom visualization in PowerBI that will look like it was drawn in Visio. The intent with this is to keep the visualization intuitive to the end user.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.