Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yoorizz
Regular Visitor

Submit button for filtering to avoid directly applying of a filter

Hi, 

I would like to only apply a filter when some other filters are set. The way how this could be done is to create a submit button to run the filters I've set. At the moment Power BI is directly applying the filter when I set the filter to a specific value. The result of this is that the single filter is retrieving a way to big dataset which is causing performance issues(memory overload). 

Example

Based on these 4 filters the dataset should be retrieved:

- Customer

- Contract

- Server

- Application

After these filters are set, the user needs to have the possibility to run the filter by a [submit] button. After clicking on the button the filter is submitted and the viusalisations should change.

The workaround I'm using to bypass the memory overload is to set the date filter to a non-existing date, so I can set the filters without retrieving any data(and using memory). After that I clear the date filter and the visualistion I want shows up. This is not a nice solution for the end users, so I'm curious if there is a better workaround/solution for this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Joris

3 REPLIES 3
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Yoorizz,

1. >>I would like to only apply a filter when some other filters are set. The way how this could be done is to create a submit button to run the filters I've set.

The filters point to Visual level filters? If they are, the memory is utilized when you load all the data into Power BI. Your .pbix file includes all the data. And there is no submit button for Visual level filters.

1.PNG

2. You can use Query Parameters in Filter Rows, more details, please review this article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft,

I'm talking about page level filters. I don't want to use query parameters because it is not possible to update these parameters in the Power BI service, so the only solution is to have a submit button which is preventing directly applying of the page-level-filter when I select a specific filter. Reporting tools like SSRS got this functionality, to give you a little context: first select the filters you need and then click 'View Report'  to generate the report and to avoid retrieving big datasets.

Regards,

Joris

@Yoorizz dashboards are meant to be interactive that is why there is no submit button because you are already interacting with the data, reporting services takes your parameters, runs the code  and then gives you a static result.

Maybe you should be using SSRS if the dashboard functionality is not as per your requirement?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.