Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IanCockcroft
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sub totals not showing

Hi   guys, I have a matrix that sometimes shows subtotals and sometimes not.

Any idea why?

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi guys,

Interestingly enough, I put the below together to show that a null value is represented as a 0 when using values.  Please see below. Text column is text. Value column is a whole number. Column on right is just Calc Column.  

TheoC_0-1643846976594.png

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

Want to connect?www.linkedin.com/in/theoconias

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TheoC
Super User
Super User

Hi @IanCockcroft 

You can try to modify your Total Swipes by BU something like the below to sum by category:

Total Swipes Per BU = 
VAR _1 = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Table'[Accessed in Period] ) , FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table' ) , [Business Unit] = MAX ( 'Table'[Business Unit] ) ) )
RETURN
IF ( _1 = 0 , 0 , _1 )

Just modify the above to your table names etc. You may need to adjust the syntax slightly but hopefully gives you what you're after.

Cheers mate.

Theo

If I have posted a response that resolves your question, please accept it as a solution to formally close the post.

Also, if you are as passionate about Power BI, DAX and data as I am, please feel free to reach out if you have any questions, queries, or if you simply want to connect and talk to another data geek!

IanCockcroft
Post Patron
Post Patron

That was my  first thought, but threr are no blwnks under the first row?

@IanCockcroft did you have any resolution on the issue?

BLANK() is NOT 0. Enclose your measure in ISBLANK([measure]) to test it.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

@IanCockcroft and @CNENFRNL , when working with values, the output of BLANK() in a visual like KPI has always been resolved for me using IF 0 else 0.  However, the logic behind the ISBLANK (...) makes sense, too.  Run with ISBLANK and hopefully that resolves your issue.

Hi guys,

Interestingly enough, I put the below together to show that a null value is represented as a 0 when using values.  Please see below. Text column is text. Value column is a whole number. Column on right is just Calc Column.  

TheoC_0-1643846976594.png

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Simply because the measure evaluates to BLANK() in those cells.

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.