Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Panto
Helper I
Helper I

Stuck with YoY Comparison with XLSX file

Hi guys,

Pretty new to PowerBI, I'm trying to create my first YoY comparison starting from a simple xlsx file.

Despite having read a lot of posts/discussions regarding this topic (and got it done in various different tools), I can't figure out what I'm missing to achieve what I want.

Basically I'd like to have a Clustered Column Chart with CurrentYear vs Previous Year for every Year.
Simple or not? Smiley Happy

This is a simple snippet of my xlsx:

ID          Order Date          Sales
1            28/05/2011         100
2            28/06/2011         200

3            01/01/2012         300

4            28/05/2012         400
5            12/11/2013         200

6            01/08/2013         600

Could you please suggest me how to write those 2 new measure in order to have somthing like CurrentYear and PreviousYear?

Thanks in advance

Follow me on Twitter:@PantoMvp
Get in contact on Linkedin: Fabio Fantoni
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need first a calendar table to use Dax Time intelligence functions. You can do this with calendarauto() function.

Then you can use:

TotalSales=Calculate(Sum([Sales]))

TotalSalesPreviousyear=Calculate([Totalsales],Sameperiodlastyear(Calendar([Date]))

Lima - Peru

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

You need first a calendar table to use Dax Time intelligence functions. You can do this with calendarauto() function.

Then you can use:

TotalSales=Calculate(Sum([Sales]))

TotalSalesPreviousyear=Calculate([Totalsales],Sameperiodlastyear(Calendar([Date]))

Lima - Peru

Hi Victor,

the Calendar Table is exactly what I was missing because I thought that I could accomplish YoY comparison with "just" the xlsx file (see other Dashboarding tools).

Thanks a lot.

Follow me on Twitter:@PantoMvp
Get in contact on Linkedin: Fabio Fantoni

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.