Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BorisTPL
Frequent Visitor

Stuck at evaluating with Power BI cleaning tool

Hi all,

I wanted to optimize my model by deleting measures and columns I do not need, so I decided to download the Power BI cleaning tool gen 2 from thebiccountant.com. However, when I try to connect it to my pbix file, I get stuck at 'evaluating' while loading the queries. Does anyone have an idea what the reason could be that I'm facing this issue? 

When I try to do it with a much older, simpler version, of my model, it does work.

Kind Regards,

BorisTPL_0-1637679054935.png

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @YanickMongeau ,
unfortunately there could be circular dependencies due to some some artefacts having the same name for example. Hard to tell without actually debugging the specific file.
But there is another tool out there that you might try instead: Measure Killer | Brunner BI

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks for your quick answer @ImkeF .

I'll give "Measure Killer" a try.

Yanick

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @BorisTPL ,
Please try the newest beta-version that isn't published yet: https://thebiccountant-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/imke_thebiccountant_onmicrosoft_com/EbB1sDMK...
Feedback very much apprectiated.

Thanks!

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hi @ImkeF ,

I'm having the same problem as @BorisTPL, but I'm using the "PBI-Cleaner-Gen2-V7.pbit" file on Power BI Desktop 2.110.1161.0 64-bit (October, 2022).

When I'm using PBI Cleaner on a small .PBIX file, it works fine. However, it's stuck on "Evaluating" when I use it on a larger .PBIX file (approx. 9 MBs, but it has around 150 measures).

I followed the procedure ("Use my current credentials", "Ignore Privacy Levels" twice, etc.), but I have to cancel the initial refresh after 2 hours.

Any ideas ?

Regards,

Yanick

v-rzhou-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @BorisTPL ,

Power BI cleaning tool gen 2 from thebiccountant.com should be a thired party tool. How much time 'evaluating' keep when you try to connect it to pbix file? Will it show error other warning? This may take time to load pbix file.

Did you select ignore Privacy Level when you connect it to pbix file?

1.png

You may refer to this blog to get more details about Power BI Cleaner Gen2.

Or you can try other tools like Dax studio to achieve your goal.

For referecene: How to identify Measures not used in your pbix file

Best Regards,
Rico Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @BorisTPL 

Best person to answer you this is @ImkeF  the original user.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.