Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Struggling with marking a column as date

Dear all,

I am struggling with marking a column as date. I get the message 'date column has to includ univocal values' and 'date column cannot inlcude gaps'.

Please see screenshots below, and sorry for the italian 🙂 .

The date table I have looks already 'structured' as a date table to me, but I am trying to use it in a quick measure formula (to calculate Month over month change for exampl) and I get the message which says it is not formatted as date - as I read here.

Thanks a lot everyone for any hint, I am a bit lost here.

Luca

Inkedsample_LI.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Mariusz,

I think that could be the issue. My date data is not on a 'day by day' logic, but I have 2 data points every month (e.g. 01.05.2019, 12.05.2019, 01.06.2019, 15.06.2019.....).

Can this be the issue then? In that case, I am afraid I cannot use the quick measure function to calculate e.g. the Month over Month or quarterly trend. Could this be the case, and any way around this?

Thank you!

@Mariusz wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, 

DAX Time Intelligence functions require Date Dimension to be marked as Date Table due to the logic, if quick measure that you are trying to use happens to contain any of this functions you will be requierd to mark your table.

Please make sure you do not have any duplicate or missing days in between.

Hope this helps
Mariusz

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous,

You can only mark Date Dimnsion as Date Table, please follow the link to the article that explains how to create one.

Hope this helps
Mariusz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mariusz, thanks for the reply! What I still don't get is: isn't that I already have a date table/dimension? In fact, PBI recognizes it as such and I can use it to create visuals and so. But when I want to use it in a quick measures formula, somehow it does not work because it is not 'marked' as such. Am i missing something? I assume yes 🙂 Thanks again! Luca

Hi @Anonymous, 

DAX Time Intelligence functions require Date Dimension to be marked as Date Table due to the logic, if quick measure that you are trying to use happens to contain any of this functions you will be requierd to mark your table.

Hope this helps
Mariusz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again Mariusz,

I think that could be the issue. My date data is not on a 'day by day' logic, but I have 2 data points every month (e.g. 01.05.2019, 12.05.2019, 01.06.2019, 15.06.2019.....).

Can this be the issue then? In that case, I am afraid I cannot use the quick measure function to calculate e.g. the Month over Month or quarterly trend. Could this be the case, and any way around this?

Thank you!

@Mariusz wrote:

Hi @Anonymous, 

Hope this helps
Mariusz

Hi @Anonymous 

most probably this is the issue and the solution woud be using the date dimension in the article I've included in my first reply.

Hope this helps
Mariusz

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

That helped!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.