Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Struggling with function ot handle a column that on some webpages is a table and sometimes a value

I have built a function to read the webpages of a website. however one field sometimes reutrns a 1 row table and sometimes a value.  i need some type of if statement that if it is a table to expand it/rename/change type but if it itsnt just change type. Is this possible?

This is is basically my function code put I feed in a list of values instead of "055". This errors because on this page RatingDate is a value

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS" & "055" &"en-GB.xml")),
    Table1 = Source{1}[Table],
    Table0 = Table1{0}[Table],
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Table0,{"FHRSID", "BusinessName", "BusinessType", "RatingValue", "RatingDate", "LocalAuthorityName"}),
    #"Expanded RatingDate" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "RatingDate", {"Element:Text"}, {"Element:Text"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Tablelet
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS" & "055" &"en-GB.xml")),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(Table0,{"FHRSID", "BusinessName", "BusinessType", "RatingValue", "RatingDate", "LocalAuthorityName"}),
    #"Expanded RatingDate" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "RatingDate", {"Element:Text"}, {"Element:Text"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded RatingDate",{{"Element:Text", "RatingDate"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each Date.IsInPreviousNYears([RatingDate], 2)),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"FHRSID", "BusinessName", "BusinessType", "RatingValue", "LocalAuthorityName"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns1".RenameColumns(#"Expanded RatingDate",{{"Element:Text", "RatingDate"}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Renamed Columns", each Date.IsInPreviousNYears([RatingDate], 2)),
    #"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Filtered Rows",{"FHRSID", "BusinessName", "BusinessType", "RatingValue", "LocalAuthorityName"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns1"

If you change 055 to 021 it works fine as RatingDate is a table. On the RemoveOther Columns line you can see the difference clearly.  So instead of just having the Expand RatingDate code I need some test to only do it if it is actually a Table

Thanks for any help

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike,

I would suggest you try the formula below. Please check out the demo in the attachment.

let
    myfunc = (p1 as text) => 
let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS" & p1 &"en-GB.xml")),
    #"Expanded RatingDate" = if Value.Type(#"Removed Other Columns"[RatingDate]) = List.Type then Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns","RatingDate", {"Element:Text"}, {"Element:Text"}) else Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{ "RatingDate", "Element:Text"}}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Expanded RatingDate",{{"Element:Text", "RatingDate"}}),

in
in
    myfunc

Best Regards,
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Mike,

I would suggest you try the formula below. Please check out the demo in the attachment.

let
    myfunc = (p1 as text) => 
let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS" & p1 &"en-GB.xml")),
    #"Expanded RatingDate" = if Value.Type(#"Removed Other Columns"[RatingDate]) = List.Type then Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns","RatingDate", {"Element:Text"}, {"Element:Text"}) else Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{ "RatingDate", "Element:Text"}}),

in
in
    myfunc

Best Regards,
Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's brilliant thanks

I actually reduced the code a bit as can do the renaming in the expanded RatingDate row

(Page as text ) as table =>

let
    Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents("http://ratings.food.gov.uk/OpenDataFiles/FHRS" & Page &"en-GB.xml")),
    #"Expanded RatingDate" = if Value.Type(#"Removed Other Columns"[RatingDate]) = List.Type then Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns","RatingDate", {"Element:Text"}, {"RatingDate"}) else "RatingDate",
   #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded RatingDate",{{"RatingDate", type date}}),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each Date.IsInPreviousNYears([RatingDate], 2)),
in

Out of interest you put let before the function and "in my func" at the end. does this make any difference to the execution?

Much appreciate your help

Mike

Hi Mike,

My pleasure.

The "let in" doesn't make any difference. Your code could go wrong if the "else" statement is active. It should be a table expression.

else "RatingDate",
else Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{{ "RatingDate", "Element:Text"}}),
// why change name in this step. Because the following code can be static without change.

Best Regards,
Dale

masplin
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Actually my code doesn't work for the case where the column isnt a table?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.