Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Struggling with filter context (link to PBIX)

I'm working on a KPI calculation, that needs to look at the averages achieved by other salespeople, then compare that to the "current" salesperson, and eventually average those across products.  I'm getting tied in knots, so put together a small representative example here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Db04mnUCkqxVXpySnwVEgWHNE3qnBeLl/view?usp=sharing

I'm currently stuck on calculating the averages for the "others", as you'll see I've added notes to explain what I'm striving for.

Any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

In case it's of any use to anyone, I only had to change one thing to make this work as needed.  Where I had created a measure :

AvCostByProdPerson = Calculate(average(SalesCost[Cost]),USERELATIONSHIP(Sales[SalesPerson],People[UID]))
...and then included that in a the measure "AvCostForOthersByProd".  
var t=summarize(r,Sales[SalesPerson],Sales[ProductID],"a",[AvCostByProdPerson])
...for reasons I'm not entirely clear on, this simply needed to be replaced without referencing the first measure:
var s=summarize(t,SalesCost[SalesPerson],Products[ProductID],"avu", average(SalesCost[Cost]))
My guess is that the context transfer in the "inner calculate" is being over-written by the outer one.
Thanks again for those that made suggestions, and I hope this helps someone at some point.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous ;

Thank you for sharing, Could you please mark your post as Answered since it is working now?

It will help the others in the community find the solution easily if they face the same problem with you. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here was the DAX I ended up with in case it's of any use to anyone...

avCostForOthersByProd =

var u=min(People[UID])
var p=min(Products[ProductID])
--need to use relationship to limit to only selected users
var sa=CALCULATETABLE(allselected(salescost),USERELATIONSHIP(People[UID],SalesCost[SalesPerson]))
--filter the above to only show users that are the current user and product is the current product
var t=filter(filter((Sa),salesCost[SalesPerson]<>u),RELATED(Products[ProductID])=p)
--summarize the table including an average of COST this is where it broke previously, because I was evaluating a 
--measure and (not sure why) that didn't work.
var s=summarize(t,SalesCost[SalesPerson],Products[ProductID],"avu", average(SalesCost[Cost]))
--iterate over the summarized columns to get average for this Product OTHER users
RETURN
var a=CALCULATE(averagex(s,[avu]))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for taking a look at this.  After spending some more time I made some changes and cracked it.  I went back to the previous model and was able to implement it there too with the same code (just referencing different tables).  Context Transition is a fickle beast it would appear.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In case it's of any use to anyone, I only had to change one thing to make this work as needed.  Where I had created a measure :

AvCostByProdPerson = Calculate(average(SalesCost[Cost]),USERELATIONSHIP(Sales[SalesPerson],People[UID]))
...and then included that in a the measure "AvCostForOthersByProd".  
var t=summarize(r,Sales[SalesPerson],Sales[ProductID],"a",[AvCostByProdPerson])
...for reasons I'm not entirely clear on, this simply needed to be replaced without referencing the first measure:
My guess is that the context transfer in the "inner calculate" is being over-written by the outer one.
Thanks again for those that made suggestions, and I hope this helps someone at some point.
m3tr01d
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

After the model is done,
you can continue with your KPI.

If you want a measure to calculate the average of all the Others SalesPerson, you could try a measure like this.

--Store the current Sales person
VAR _CurrentSalesPerson = SELECTEDVALUE( People[Uname] )

--Calculate the average on all sales person different than the current one
RETURN
CALCULATE(
	AVERAGE( Sales_Final[Cost] ),
	People[Uname] <> _CurrentSalesPerson
)

But definitely start to correct your model first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure how selectedvalue will help here.  I've tidied the model as suggested, but still no further forward.
Here is the updated file with simpler model:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VYvRWdwcuQDyWVd2ycsYd-RwRawoWRQx/view?usp=sharing

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

m3tr01d
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi @Anonymous ,

@AlexisOlson is right, you should merge the Sales and SalesCost Table. 
Use power query to merge the two table using Sales_Id and bring the column Cost and Salesperson in the Sales table. Then, you'll be able to reactivate your relationship with Person. The final model should look like this

m3tr01d_0-1623801740020.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks
I've re-modelled as suggesed, you can see the new model here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XygYVmIfnh_kDWhZsZdnb534Vpe3tDYK/view?usp=sharing

...but I can't have the SalesPerson>People relationship permanently active as there are other People linked to the Sales (e.g. the introducer, the approver, etc.).  
Any pointers appreciated.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Your model setup makes everything quite difficult. Having multiple fact tables in an incomplete 1-to-1 relationship is trouble waiting to happen and makes writing measures tricky.

If you can consolidate SalesCost and Sales into a single fact table so that your model is more like a standard star schema, then things are much simpler. With enough trial and error, I could probably eventually write a measure that works the way your model is currently but, assuming I were successful, it would be likely difficult to understand how exactly it works.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion/
I've updated the model as you've suggested, but still no nearer a solution.  You can see new model here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VYvRWdwcuQDyWVd2ycsYd-RwRawoWRQx/view?usp=sharing
Any pointers appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.