Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Struggling to set up Income Statement due to formatting issue

When I bring Data from an Income Statement via Excel the monthly columns are a mix of percentages, whole numbers and dollars.  BI will not allow me to format by rows.  If I transpose the data and the account become columns and the months all go into one filed which I can then filter on it still does not work.  Even though I can no wformat each field of the IS accordingly, it does not allow me to build it appropriately in a matrix.

4 REPLIES 4
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Please share data in excel using onedrive/google drive to get your answer quickly. Remove any sensitive information before sharing.Read this post to get your answer quickly.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.  Still don't see your solution when I follow what you said and unpivot as directed I am now left with three columns:  Accounts, Amount and Date.  Still have the original issue where I can only format the Amount field as one data type but I have percents, dollars and whole numbers mixed across my 76 Income Statement fields.  Also, don't really see how I can build things with account groups and my dates - would need two sets of filters I suppose. 

ThanksCapture2.PNG

@Anonymous it will make sense to unpivot your data in power query, go to advanced editor, select Accounts column and on right click, select unpivot other columns

It will give you two new columns Attribute and Value, rename attribute to date and value to amount and from there it will be easy to build the report.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.