Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Nemza
Frequent Visitor

Struggling to 'left join' my data model to budget figures

Hi, 

I'm coming from a SQL backgroud to "left join" is the best way I can describe this issue. 

I have a data model that, with a bit of help from the community, is working as expected. It is showing me the actual time spent by a user per day on various tasks. All the tables are related nicely and they all seem to speak to each other. I will refer to this as the "actual time" or "actual data"

My problem is that I would like to introduce budget a.k.a forecast data to the model. 

This is data that sits outside the data model - I've captured it on an excel spreadsheet and want to incorporate it into my model. 

The first thing to note is that the actual data's level of granularity is daily.

The forecast data that I am introducing is aggregated per month. 

Here is a screen grab of my data model with the fields i'd like to join highlighted*

My data modelMy data model

*When i've highlighted a table name its becuase the field is not displayed in the model view, but rest assured the field is there and it's named the same as the forecast table field.

If you would like to get a pbix file from me, I can create one, but I think the image of the data model will suffice for what I am asking.

The actual data has the following fields that I woudl like to 'join' the forecast data with:

• Date.First of Month (I'm sure sure what to actually join to here)
  • Project.Name
  • User.Name
  • Client.Name

The forecast data has the following fields that I would like to 'join' to the actual data:

• First of Month (a date where the day is always 01 e.g. 2020/03/01, 2020/04/01 etc...)
  • Project
  • User
  • Client

The end goal being that I would like to join the data and show the user things like:

• Actual allocation per user, project, client, month vs. forecasted allocation 
  • Actual rate per user, project, client, month vs. forecasted rate
  • Etc...

I'd really appreciate any help I can get on this. 

Thus far I have tried to create dim tables that act as bridging tables and I've tried to use the TREATAS function but to no avail.

Thanks in advance!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nemza ,

You can refer these articles about TREATAS() function:

1. https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/
  2. https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/5482/how-to-use-the-treatas-function-in-dax/

You can also share your .pbix file here for further discussion.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Nemza ,

You can refer these articles about TREATAS() function:

1. https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/propagate-filters-using-treatas-in-dax/
  2. https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/5482/how-to-use-the-treatas-function-in-dax/

You can also share your .pbix file here for further discussion.

Best Regards,

Yingjie Li

Hi @lbendlin , 

I've looked at many tuts on TREATAS but the tuts are very simple and I can't get it to work on many colums. 

@v-yingjl thanks for the resources, I looked through them and I ended up coming right. 

What I was looking for was something like this:

Rate CCY Target per Month Client Project User = CALCULATE(
AVERAGE(ForecastTargets[Rate CCY]),
TREATAS(VALUES('Date'[First of Month]),ForecastTargets[First of Month]),
TREATAS(VALUES(User[Name]),ForecastTargets[User]),
TREATAS(VALUES(Client[Name]),ForecastTargets[Client]),
TREATAS(VALUES(Project[Name]),ForecastTargets[Project])
)

So, under the filter part of the CALCULATE function I can just list many TREATAS lines; one per field that I am joining on. 

Thanks!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

TREATAS () should work. What issues have you encountered?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.