cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meagain

Strategy for implementing a menu-style list that captures and saves user selections.

I'd like to create a PowerBI or PowerQuery interface that outputs a list created by a query and then allows users to select a subset of items, which are saved to new table -- or somewhere where they won't be overwritten. See simplified example below. 

Would anyone have suggestions for the best way to do this?  I'd prefer to use PowerBI because I could add search filters. 

In Excel I can imagine these steps ...

1. Query #1 generates a list and loads to Column B
  2. Place a User-Selection table in Column A that's dimensioned to match the number of rows in the query output where users can check a box indicate that an item is selected. 
  3. Place a formula in Column C that references the query output in Column B if Column A is selected. 
  4. Query #2 captures the content of Column B and filters out blank rows.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

User selection example.png

4 REPLIES 4
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @meagain ,

Using the Power BI you may try and use the Power Automate visualization, that allows to create custom automations based on Power BI data.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-new-power-automate-visual-for-power-bi-repor...

Using this you can create/update a file or a list in sharepoint that saves returns the Query2 data.

Another option on Excel is using VBA.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

@MFelix wrote:

Hi @meagain ,

Using the Power BI you may try and use the Power Automate visualization, that allows to create custom automations based on Power BI data.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/announcing-the-new-power-automate-visual-for-power-bi-repor...

Using this you can create/update a file or a list in sharepoint that saves returns the Query2 data.

So far I haven't had success connecting PowerBI to Power Automate. 

1. Tried using the online version of Flow but I don't seem to have access to sharepoint via either of my MS accounts (O365 at home and Office 2016 at work).
  2. In PowerBI I tried using the Power Automate visual but that also tries to connect to a MS online account.
  3. Tried downloading and installing Power Automate desktop, but I can't figure out how to connect that app to a PowerBI or Excel query as a datasource. 

Hi @meagain ,

Do you have a onedrive account? There is no need to connect to sharepoint this can be done in a series of connections.

Check out if the flow below makes what you need, if yes tyou only need to replicate this on the power automate viasualization.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/4db78650-9144-4150-ae1a-2001d58d2bf9/upd...  (This uses excel online)

But there can be made adjustment with different flows.

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Miguel, thanks for the tip about Power Automate. I'll check it out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!