Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange results with native visuals on Desktop vs Online

I've got several visuals that are not working consistantly across my Desktop and Online PBI reports.  All are native and not 3rd party visuals.  The Slicer and Table show correctly on the Desktop (running December's software update) but after publishing, both show incorrectly.  The data source is the same table, same field.  The field data is either "TRUE", "FALSE", or Blank. 

Slicer on Desktop is shown with a green highlight, Online is shown with red. 

eritter_0-1613145649285.png 

eritter_1-1613145676920.png

As you can see, the option to select "Only Show" disappears.

For the Table, Desktop is shown with a green highlight, Online is shown with red.

2021-02-12_10-46-35.png

2021-02-12_10-49-13.png

In this example, the Desktop shows "True", but the online version shows "-1".

I've recreated the visuals, same result.

One additional tidbit.  When I publish and look at the visuals online, they appear correct.  Once the refresh happens, the visuals are incorrect.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

After a lot of testing, trial and error, I decided to completely recreate the specific visual and queries to Dynamics in a new report.  I was able to have the visual work perfectly in the new report.  Turns out that our Dynamics Admin made some changes to the fields that resulted in everything appearing to be correct in Desktop, but the Service had a conflict for some reason with the changes.  Essentially, he change the data type but left the field name in place.  Hard to explain, but by building out the query from scratch, it exposed some differences that allowed me to fix the issue.  Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I'm out of ideas.  Last option I could think of is to hunt for hidden visuals that may have filters applied.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After a lot of testing, trial and error, I decided to completely recreate the specific visual and queries to Dynamics in a new report.  I was able to have the visual work perfectly in the new report.  Turns out that our Dynamics Admin made some changes to the fields that resulted in everything appearing to be correct in Desktop, but the Service had a conflict for some reason with the changes.  Essentially, he change the data type but left the field name in place.  Hard to explain, but by building out the query from scratch, it exposed some differences that allowed me to fix the issue.  Thank you for your help.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Is this data source direct query then?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for the long reply time.  No, not using direct query at this time. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Re-publish the app

Anonymous
Not applicable

Done multiple times.  Publish from the desktop, update the app in the service.  Both workspace and app are displaying this one field incorrectly - ie different from what I just published from the desktop.  The field is from Dynamics. 

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Needs more details. Is this on shared capacity or Premium?  If on Premium have you remembered to re-update the app as well?  When you say "online" do you mean workspace or app?  Did you click the "Reset to defaults" button?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin Premium.  Both the workspace and app have the same issue in the PowerBI service (what I called online).  Reset to defaults had no effect. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.