cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jude_c Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Strange error with outer joins: Invalid operator on id field (source seems fine!)

Hey Power BI Community,

Firstly, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, and thanks for your help on my posts of earlier this year! I'm a data scientist who picked up Power BI to help with an ops project earlier this year, and I've since LOVED it for so many applications (feels like I'm cheating on R + Shiny!). 

Anyways, I'm writing because I'm getting a strange error when attempting a Right Outer or Full Outer join/merge. Unfortunately, I cannot share my data, nor pbix (for intuitive reasons), but I here's the error message...

DataSource.Error: 

OpportunityFieldHistory WHERE (Field LIKE '%Stage%')
                              ^
ERROR at Row:1:Column:119
invalid operator on id field
Details:
List

It's strange, 1) because the query I'm attempting to merge doesn't have 119 columns, and 2) I have no clue what the Details mean by "list," as the 'id' field in the query I'm looking to merge doesn't contain any list in values or data type. :-\

If you have any ideas, they'd be much appreciated. Have a great day/night!

-Jude C.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Strange error with outer joins: Invalid operator on id field (source seems fine!)

@jude_c,

You may check if the LIKE operator is supported for string fields only.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
jude_c Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Strange error with outer joins: Invalid operator on id field (source seems fine!)

Hey V_Chuncz,

I'm not sure I understand. Can you rephrase that?

For what it's worth, like I said, I'm only doing a join and that's through the GUI (Merge Queries dialog), which only gives the option of what kind of join to use and nothing else.

JC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Virtual Launch Event

Microsoft Business Applications October Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

Summit North America

Power Platform Summit North America

Register by September 5 to save $200

PBI Community Highlights

PBI Community Highlights

Check out what's new in the Power BI Community!

MBAS Gallery

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 1,181 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: