Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Strange error with outer joins: Invalid operator on id field (source seems fine!)

Hey Power BI Community,

Firstly, HAPPY HOLIDAYS, and thanks for your help on my posts of earlier this year! I'm a data scientist who picked up Power BI to help with an ops project earlier this year, and I've since LOVED it for so many applications (feels like I'm cheating on R + Shiny!). 

Anyways, I'm writing because I'm getting a strange error when attempting a Right Outer or Full Outer join/merge. Unfortunately, I cannot share my data, nor pbix (for intuitive reasons), but I here's the error message...

DataSource.Error: 

OpportunityFieldHistory WHERE (Field LIKE '%Stage%')
                              ^
ERROR at Row:1:Column:119
invalid operator on id field
Details:
List

It's strange, 1) because the query I'm attempting to merge doesn't have 119 columns, and 2) I have no clue what the Details mean by "list," as the 'id' field in the query I'm looking to merge doesn't contain any list in values or data type. 😕

If you have any ideas, they'd be much appreciated. Have a great day/night!

-Jude C.

2 REPLIES 2
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous,

You may check if the LIKE operator is supported for string fields only.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey V_Chuncz,

I'm not sure I understand. Can you rephrase that?

For what it's worth, like I said, I'm only doing a join and that's through the GUI (Merge Queries dialog), which only gives the option of what kind of join to use and nothing else.

JC

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.