Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

Strange error message with calculation item

Hi all,

I just started getting this error message with a calculation item. Ive never seen it before and cant think of anything that has changed in the model that would affect this. I couldnt find any reference to it with google. Any ideas?

tenfingers_0-1610666302844.png

CHeers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

I ended up discovering the cause of this and so thought I would post it in case someone else comes across this error.
The calculation item in the error referenced a measure which had stopped working because a column data type had changed. Seems simple but there were quite a few measures in the calculation item and it took a while to find the broken one. Also the error message seemed to me to point to a different issue. Not sure how it was working for me and not another user when one of the measures referenced was broken and a column data type was changed.
Cheers

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@tenfingers 

Thank you for share your findings. You may mark it mark solution so others can find it more quickly. 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

I ended up discovering the cause of this and so thought I would post it in case someone else comes across this error.
The calculation item in the error referenced a measure which had stopped working because a column data type had changed. Seems simple but there were quite a few measures in the calculation item and it took a while to find the broken one. Also the error message seemed to me to point to a different issue. Not sure how it was working for me and not another user when one of the measures referenced was broken and a column data type was changed.
Cheers

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tenfingers , One is clear cache and try.

2. How is this connected. You have updated the crendential in power bi service or it is using gateway.

See like some security on a object is issue. Not very clear on that

Thanks @amitchandak 

The issue resolved by itself. Not connected through a gateway , source is OData and credentials correct. I think you may be right on the cache as it was fixed for me but persisted for a different user. Thanks for replying 😊

tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

Now has strangely resolved itself........

tenfingers
Advocate II
Advocate II

Some further details:
The sames visuals and report work in the file containing my model in desktop but when published or in a live connected report they return the error. 
Cheers

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.