Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ChristoherMuehl
Frequent Visitor

Strange behaviour with RLS

Hello community,

I have a strange problem in my PowerBI report when I run an aggregation e.g. maximum or minimum and additionally have Row Level Security in PowerBI enabled.

In the example I have a table with a timestamp and a column with the number of warnings (from sensors) per organizational unit in this time. The data is loaded via Direct Query from an Azure SQL database.

In the table there are different time stamps for April 15th and May 3rd for 11 different organizational units as in the screenshot for 11 o'clock (May 3rd) and 12 o'clock (April 15th).

1_Table_20190503_WithoutRLS.png1_Table_20190415_WithoutRLS.png

If I activate the Row Level Security in Power BI Desktop for the SuperAdmin, then I get exactly the same resultset. This is good and exactly meets my expectations, because the SuperAdmin is allowed to see all data.

The column "warnings" is configured to form the sum. The same behavior can also be shown for the minium or maximum.

If I now remove the column for the organizational unit the following happens:

Without RLS I get this ResultSet

2_Table_WithoutRLS.png

And with activated RLS I get this ResultSet

2_Table_WithRLS.png

With activated RLS I don't get any more data for the 3rd of May although I have seen the data completely before.
It's also strange that with RLS activated I only see data from April 15th, but the sum below is the same as without RLS and with all data from April 15th and May 3rd.

Do any of you have an explanation for this?

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Christopher 

4 REPLIES 4
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ChristoherMuehl ,

Are all fields shown in above visual from the same data table? If not, what is the relationship between tables? How did you create the RLS?

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yulgu-msft 

thank you for your reply.

We have a user table, an organization unit table and a table with the timestamps and the number of warnings (like a fact-table).

The tables are connected via the organization unit. A user can be assigned to several organizational units.

Relationship between user table and organization unit table :

4_Relation_User_To_OrgUnit.png

Relationship between organization unit-table and fact-table:

4_Relation_OrgUnit_To_FactTable.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,
we already had a similar problem in our team and haven't found a solution yet. It would be great if someone could help here.

ChristoherMuehl
Frequent Visitor

It's especially funny that when I select "Don't summarize" I get data from May 3rd. Only for aggregations like Maximium, Sum, Minimum I don't get values for May 3rd with RLS activated.

3_Dont_Summarize.png

What could be the reason for this?

Thank you in advance!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.