cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjimenez Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Strange behaviour Date Hierarchy

Hi,

I am having some uses using a date hierarchy in my calculated date table. It seems to work fine for the most part but I have noticed something when using the date hierarchy in measures: I have a different behaviour when using the column name over the dot notation in a measure.

I'll try to explain. I have this page in my report:

Captura.PNG

My Date table has dates for the last 4 years until the October 30th. The first two values are displayed using the whole date column and selecting first /last value. It works correctly.

The last ones are created with a measure like this:

CALCULATE(MAX(Dates[Fecha].[Date]))
VS
CALCULATE(MAX(Dates[Fecha]))

Why are they showing different values? Maybe it is due to the date hierarchy requirement of continuous values (it needs the whole year?) or it is some weird effect of the filters (the .[Date] value is not filtered? It seems weird and I couldn't find any information related to it.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Strange behaviour Date Hierarchy

Hi @jjimenez ,

You can refer to the similar case, as v-shex-msft said, when you turn on time intelligence option, power bi will try to analysis your data value column as a hidden calendar. These extend fields which you mentioned are from analyzed hidden calendar, you can directly use these fields to get different date unit from date value without specific dax date functions.(year, month, day...)

It can help power bi to analysis data and summarize records with different date level and provide support with dax time intelligence functions(such as YTD, MTD, PREVIOUSYEAR...), It can help you calculate records with specific date filters more simply.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Strange behaviour Date Hierarchy

Hi @jjimenez ,

You can refer to the similar case, as v-shex-msft said, when you turn on time intelligence option, power bi will try to analysis your data value column as a hidden calendar. These extend fields which you mentioned are from analyzed hidden calendar, you can directly use these fields to get different date unit from date value without specific dax date functions.(year, month, day...)

It can help power bi to analysis data and summarize records with different date level and provide support with dax time intelligence functions(such as YTD, MTD, PREVIOUSYEAR...), It can help you calculate records with specific date filters more simply.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Topics Started Badges Coming

New Topics Started Badges Coming

We're releasing new versions of the badge that everyone's talking about. ;) Check your inbox for notifications.

MBAS 2020

Save the new date (and location)!

Our business applications community is growing—so we needed a different venue, resulting in a new date and location. See you there!

Difinity Conference

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)