Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DouweMeer
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Strange Circular Dependency issue

So I'm trying to account for the error in package size maintained by us, versus the resellers. 

My expression:

Selling price correction =
VAR test = LOOKUPVALUE( 'ALL PRODUCTS'[Pieces/case] , 'ALL PRODUCTS'[Item] , 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Product] )
RETURN
if (
   and (
      'EMEA - Standard_1'[Selling Price] / test < 'EMEA - Standard_1'[List Price]
      , 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Selling Price] / test > 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Adjusted Cost]
      )
   , 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Selling Price] / test
   , 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Selling Price]
   )

It suggest that there is a circular dependency detected. This expression is placed in a customn column of 'EMEA - Standard_1'. The field [Selling Price], [List Price], [Adjusted Cost], [Pieces/case], [Item] and [Product] do not contain any calculation, nor are they measures. 

Any suggestion to the why this is happening?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi, @DouweMeer 

It is not a bugger, it is a common problem between calculate column and relationship

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

You can upload sample pbix file and expected output to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI, @DouweMeer 

For this error, it must be that one of 'ALL PRODUCTS'[Pieces/case], 'EMEA - Standard_1'[Selling Price], 'EMEA - Standard_1'[List Price] or  'EMEA - Standard_1'[Adjusted Cost] is calculate column and it is calculated based on anther table.

So just adjust it in the formula.

If you still have the problem, please share a simple sample pbix file.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-lili6-msft 

I understand your theory as I was looking for that as well. But those fields are not calculated. 

Before this case, I also had the same issue with another expression:

lookupvalue ( all products [piece/case] , all product [item] , 'emea...' [product] )

where it would hit me with a circular dependency. I can't imagine a way where you can be hit a circular dependency when using a lookupvalue on a newly created calculated column. 

I fixed the previous circular dependency by creating a dynamic table and using that dynamic table to do a:

sum ( dynamic table , value( dynamic table [piece price] ) 

To me, it tastes like a bug. Think I'm going to do the dynamic table trick again to fix this crap. 

hi, @DouweMeer 

Could you please share a simple sample pbix file for us to have a test Smiley Happy

Best Regards,

Lin

@v-lili6-msft 

Actually, I didn't though I could reproduce it. That is what always happens when I have these strange cases. But I'm hit with the problem that I can't attach attachments to the forum and other apps that will let me do it, are disabled by my company. Any chance you can pm me that I can send you the file?

Otherwise, I think I found the bugger. But I still don't know why. 

When I try to enable the 'both' relationshipWhen I try to enable the 'both' relationshipWhere the problem is and its expressionWhere the problem is and its expression

hi, @DouweMeer 

It is not a bugger, it is a common problem between calculate column and relationship

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/understanding-circular-dependencies/

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

You can upload sample pbix file and expected output to OneDrive and post the link here. Do mask sensitive data before uploading.

Best Regards,

Lin

OneDrive with external link is block by policy. Sorry, not going to work. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.